Drain Pipe in Garage

Old 10-27-13, 10:13 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drain Pipe in Garage

Hi all-

I am looking for some help with a drain pipe that runs through my garage. We are in MN and the garage is uninsulated. There is a sort of "deck" on top of the garage, but instead of building it like a deck, it was built so that the flooring slopes down to where a drain is located. The flooring of the area is covered with an elastomeric coating which needs to be reapplied every few years. The drain connects to a PVC pipe that runs for 10-15 feet through the garage to the exterior wall where it drains to the outside.

Now, again, we're in MN and the garage is uninsulated, so in the spring I've had problems with the pipe freezing. Then as the snow continues to melt we have sitting water on the deck. Then, with water on the deck and the pipe frozen, the junction between the drain and the PVC leaked last spring. (It has not leaked all summer, even with heavy rain.) It looks like there is some sort of material up there which the previous owner used to seal the junction.

So my questions, leaving aside the wisdom of whoever thought this setup was a good idea in the first place...

1. I have read of a few vaguely similar scenarios on this site where folks have recommended heat tape or heat cable on PVC pipe. I like this idea but does anybody see any problems with it in this scenario? I was thinking it could be used with a "thermostatically controlled outlet" such as...

Amazon.com: Farm Innovators TC-3 Cold Weather Thermo Cube Thermostatically Controlled Outlet - On at 35-Degrees/Off at 45-Degrees: Patio, Lawn & Garden

2. Any thoughts on the best way to seal up the junction (what product to use)?

(My ideal answer to both would be "new garage" but that is not in the cards at this point.)

Thank you!

Jon

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-13, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
The heat tape you buy is already thermostatically controlled. No need for that plug you linked to...

Amazon.com: Easy Heat AHB-019 Cold Weather Valve and Pipe Heating Cable, 9 feet: Patio, Lawn & Garden