Smelly drain

Old 10-28-13, 06:31 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smelly drain

I had a new plumbing system installed in my cottage but did not have the kitchen set up. The plumber told me that all I had to do was connect into the drain and vent pipe when I had the kitchen ready to go. I did this and since I hooked up the kitchen drain I now have a smell coming from it, not all the time but quite often. Can you help me with this problem. The plumber who did the work has been in a motor vehicle accident and is not working right now, however I called him and he said it should not be doing this and the vent pipe has the proper grade and should be fine. His son who is an apprentice plumber was here but he did not seem to know what the problem was and when he was here there was no smell.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-13, 07:00 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Hi grandpa and welcome...

Hmmm I would need to see a sketch of some sort to see how it was connected... Vent and all to make a determination of the problem....

Smells are usually from trap issues or siphoning of traps because of venting issues...

Old 10-28-13, 07:47 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Add water to all the drains and flush the toilets.
May be just a dry trap.
No water in the trap and sewer gas comes in. The water act's like a check valve.