Vent Stack Pipe

Old 10-29-13, 09:10 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Vent Stack Pipe

Hello,

I want to change out my vent stack pipe from 2 90 degree pvc fittings to 45 degree rubber screw in fitting. The vent stack goes from the front of the house straight up about 30 ft then 90 degree angle pvc fitting then all the way across the attic 50 ft and then another 90 degree angle pvc and up and out the roof. I want to make the two 90's into two 45's and change the length of the 50 ft to 30 ft and come out the roof. Does this sound ok?

Thanks, Jim

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-13, 09:08 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Why? Do you have a problem that you have traced to the plumbing vent system? When you write "rubber screw in fitting" do you mean a Fernco-type coupling? Unbanded Fernco-type couplings are prohibited except in underground usage. What do you hope to accomplish with your modification?

Old 10-30-13, 05:48 AM
J
Hi, Thanks for the reply. Yes, Fernco-type 45 degree coupling. I had a plumber come over and he was going to charge me $500 to change the 90 degree pvc coupling to the 45 degree Fernco-type coupling. My problem is that the vent stack pipe is not straight up through the roof since it is in the front of the house so the builder put two 90 pvc in and stuck in in the roof at the back of the house. The washer and kitchen sink overflow every other month. I snake it and then again stops up. The plumber told me the Vent stack is not right and creating air pockets. He said he would install the 45 degree Fernco-type coupling and this would fix it all up. He said since the vent pipe air is not flow it is causing the water to sit then clog. Why is it illegal for the 45 degree Fernco-type coupling? Thanks Again!

Old 10-30-13, 06:03 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is it really that big a deal to run the drain straight up and out the roof?
That would make a whole lot more since to me then all that other mess.

Old 10-30-13, 06:26 AM
J
Hi Joe, I so agree but our stepfor Wives town has a no pipe in front of the house ordanance. It's nuts!

Old 10-30-13, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
The plumber told me the Vent stack is not right and creating air pockets.
He said since the vent pipe air is not flow it is causing the water to sit then clog.

Nonsense.......!!!!!!

How old is the home?

Have you had a video inspection of the main sewer line?

The washer and kitchen sink overflow every other month.
If its on the same line the kitchen should have its own vent... most likely 1 1/2"... What happens first, does the washer drain then it backs up in the sink?

Ill bet you a beer that you have a clog somewhere. At a minimum have the sink and washer line snaked and have a camera put down the main... I am sure you will find your problem....

Per code only no hum fittings are allowed as far as I know code to be...But IMO your vent is not the issue....

Old 10-30-13, 07:51 AM
J
Hi lawrosa, When you say Nonsense then there is no need for me to make the vent stack pipe angled at 45 degrees vs. 90's? You think snaking more is the way to go? What if I made the 45 elbows by using PVC? Or do you just not think Vent stack is my problem? We put almost nothing in the disposal anymore. so I have ruled out that and when I did snake at 75 feet it was all good for a couple months but then back the clog came. The main culprit is washing machine which dumps a ton of water through the pipe and if any clog at all comes overflowing either through kitchen double sink or back up the washer hose intake. What about those Drain king hose attachments would that be the way to go? BTW, the house was built in 1992 and the vent pipe is 1 1/2 PVC with two 90 degree angles the first pipe is 30ft up then 90 then 50ft pvc 1 1/2 across attic then 90 then 6ft pvc 1 1/2 out to roof. Thanks, Jim

Old 10-30-13, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator
Or do you just not think Vent stack is my problem?
Its not your problem. Does the pipe pitch up from 1 90 to the next? Even if it did not it would still pull air and is not your issue...

and when I did snake at 75 feet it was all good for a couple months but then back the clog came.
Roots, belly in pipe, partial collapsed pipe, ols orangeburg pipe....etc... Without a camera inspection you can only guess at what the issue may be...

Once you find the issue there are several courses of action to take... cutting bits, root x treatment, pipe repair...etc...

Old 10-30-13, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator
A vent pipe has nothing to do with flow really... Its to prevent other traps from getting the water siphoned out....

Old 10-30-13, 08:19 AM
J
Hi Lawrosa, Does the pipe pitch up from 1 90 to the next? No it doesn't and that's why the plumber said I needed to do 45's instead of 90's. But sounds like this is NOT true so waste of my time and money. I have a Milwakee camera viewer but is only 15ft and I looked from washer down to kitchen area. I will try outside from cleanout and see if I see anything. Should I just but some root killer down the drain for good measure? Thanks again!!

Old 10-30-13, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator
You need to cut the roots with a cutting bit first before you treat......

All i can say is have a camera put down the line before you do anything.....

Are you on a septic?????

Old 10-30-13, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator
Example only...

You never know what you may find... This vid shows a break in the pipe as well as standing water at a belly in the pipe... This as well as roots cause clogs..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoXQvHIeuFU

Old 10-30-13, 10:03 AM
J
Hi Lawrosa, Ok, I am going to go down to Home Depot rent a 100ft snake and go to the main line then run snake and see if I get luck. After that I will dump some root kill in and maybe I will get lucky. THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE!!

Old 10-30-13, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Hi Lawrosa, Ok, I am going to go down to Home Depot rent a 100ft snake and go to the main line then run snake and see if I get luck. After that I will dump some root kill in and maybe I will get lucky. THANKS FOR ALL THE ADVICE!!
LOL... I guess my comments were in vain...

How do you know you have roots?

Do you know how to use a snake?

Do you know what bit to use on the end?

Why not camera first then see what you are dealing with... That is the first step...

Full size clean outs are often required.....

This is for example only, and any company will try to sell you something.... But like NJ there are many companys that will snake and camera for $99 bucks....

I have no affiliation with this company.. Example to show you whats out there...

Locate Fort Worth Plumbers - Fort Worth Plumbing | Rescue Rooter

Old 10-30-13, 10:20 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
Just to give you another opinion - I agree with Mike that it's most likely not your vent that's the problem. Even if was horribly pitched, you'd have a little water collecting that wouldn't affect the rest of the system. The vent would have to be completely blocked by probably more than water to slow down any drains - and even so, you'd probably just get the 'glug glug glug' symptom.

The problem with most snakes is they poke a 1/2" hole into years of built up gunk. After a few days, it clogs up again. You really need a snake with a cutting attachment to open up the whole pipe.

Old 10-30-13, 10:25 AM
J
Hi Lawrosa,
I guess my comments were in vain...No way, I appreciated everything and have decided against the vent pipe 45's.
I figured 4 hours using 100ft snake to see if I could breakup the blockage was next on the list. I didn't know it would be less than $100 to have them do it and do a camera so i will call Rescue Rooter and go with that then see what happens. Thanks for ALL the advice!! Thanks, Jim

Old 10-30-13, 08:58 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
So-called "90 degree" or "45 degree" elbows on DWV (drainage, waste and vent) lines are NOT a true 90 or 45 degrees but instead something like one or two degrees less. This allows for a slope, or "fall" in the piping between fittings. ALL DWV fittings have this built-in fall. In the olden days they weren't even referred to in degrees but called a "half bend", "quarter bend", "eighth bend" and the like. If your horizontal piping is level or has a reverse fall then the pipe is in need of additional hangers to hold it in the proper position.

The rubber fittings CAN be used above ground as long as they have the full metal shield to hold the pipes in proper alignment.

Old 11-01-13, 09:44 AM
J
Hello, Success!! I had Rescue Rooter come out and they found my main line at the back of the house was broke because of roots! We snaked through the roots and all is good again. I am going to dig up the 4 inch pipe where bronke and replace it then run away from this fun. Thanks to everyone who replied!! Jim