Capping Dishwasher Line

Old 10-30-13, 06:17 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Capping Dishwasher Line

Hello everybody,

I recently bought a home and the homeowner took his dishwasher. He did cap the water supply line, but it is leaking. I currently have bowl under it to catch the water. My wife and I decided that we aren't buying a dishwasher and plan on making the hole much needed storage space.

My question is, how do I cap the supply line properly so it doesn't leak (there is no shut off specifically for the supply line) until I can get someone in who can properly get rid of the supply line.

Second question is, when I turn off the water at the main supply line, do I need to drain the hot water heater temporarily while i fix this?

Thanks for reading and hopefully helping!!

Jeremy

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-13, 06:26 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Need a picture of what you have to see how they capped it.
If it's capped and you can get it to stop leaking there's no need to do anything else to it.
There has to be a shut off on both supply's, something to put on your to do list.

Old 10-30-13, 07:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 495 Votes on 455 Posts
Yes, a picture of what you have is needed so we can see what you are trying to cap.

You do not need to do anything with your water heater when you shut off the water. You do need to turn off the power or turn off the flame when you drain the heater.

Old 10-30-13, 09:42 AM
J
Picture

Name:  IMG953456.jpg
Views: 1709
Size:  28.0 KB

Here is what I'm working with - the bottom copper line with the silver cap is where it's leaking.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Old 10-30-13, 09:56 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Turn the water off to the home and cut that pipe coming from the tee leaving about 2". Then solder a 1/2" cap on or use a push on shark bite connector...

Old 10-30-13, 10:05 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
I think the best/easiest way to cap it would be to buy a 1/2" SharkBite cap. Cut the pipe back an inch or two from the wall and slide that cap on. It's permanent enough, but if you or a future homeowner want to reuse it, it can be removed.

Just shut off your main water supply and open the faucet in the sink to relieve pressure. When you take off that cap, have a bucket ready.

Oh, I would also suggest not just reusing that cap. It looks like a steel cap which could cause corrosion with the copper, ending up in more of a leak down the road.

Old 10-30-13, 04:31 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
While a cap would work, why would they do that when they could install a 5/8 X 3/8 compression shut off?
That way they would now have the needed shut off, it's not going to leak, and no one would have to deal with shutting off the main water supply again?

Old 10-30-13, 05:41 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Off topic but aren't "S" traps now persona non grata.

Old 10-30-13, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Off topic but aren't "S" traps now persona non grata.
Grandfathered.........................