sediment filter

Old 11-01-13, 03:43 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
sediment filter

The house water line has a psi of 96. A prior plumber simply shut the valve on the main water line half way. Do I now need the expensive of buying a regulator as another plumber recommends? I also worry, besides an expense that might not be needed, is having another "thing" that might leak.

Also, I am also thinking of a sediment filter. Sediment does not seem visible except at the bathroom faucet's flow restriction screen which collects a light coating of a white gritty paste over a couple of weeks. I am on an old town water system. I have an Aquasana filter at the kitchen sink and the shower.

Are these worth buying? Are the inexpensive sediment containers like GE or Culligan at the big box stores OK? I read some crack and leak, or slow down the water flow rate. And changing a filter every 1 to 3 months sounds expensive.

Your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-13, 04:26 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's one highly misinformed plumber to have done that.
All he did was reduce the available CFM (cubic feet per min.)
It did nothing to reduce the at rest pressure.
Picture standing on a garden hose, with the nozzle off the pressure on both sides will equalize open the nozzle and the pressure on the supply side will remain the same, the nozzle side will drop right off and never build back up until the flow stops.
Shut offs are not pressure regulators! And should not even be used as flow regulators. There made to be all the way on or off.
A home water system only needs about 60 PSI. Any more can cause plumbing leaks, water hammer, toilet flush valves to malfunction.
As far as your white scum, first you get the water tested before just throwing a filter in there to see how it needs to be treated.
It may need treating not filtering.

Old 11-01-13, 05:47 AM
W
Thanks for the feedback. The town sends homeowners an annual water report on water quality, and the dept head visited. It is just a sandy grit.

Old 11-01-13, 05:53 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
I'm with Joe. You definitely need to install a PRV. I believe water heaters and most residential appliances are rated for a max of 80psi, so you're more likely to have a washing machine hose leak, etc.

If you're up for some soldering, it's a pretty easy DIY project... as long as the water main shuts off completely. If it continues to drip as some do, it gets a bit more difficult.

Not sure what the white gritty paste is. What kind of piping do you have in the house?

All town/city water systems are tested regularly and must meet EPA guidelines. While the EPA guidelines determine what is considered 'safe' levels of everything, some people want to further filter some of those things out. It sounds like you're already doing that with your drinking/cooking water... it may not be worthwhile to filter the other water in your house.

You can get a simple water test kit at any hardware type store, or send off some of your water to a testing lab for more detailed an accurate measurements.