Tub Spigot Leaks

Old 11-05-13, 08:11 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Talking Tub Spigot Leaks

Separated from: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/pl...er-repair.html

I have the same problem as Gina. My tub has a 3-handle Briggs.

But I also have another problem. With the main water off, water still drips steadily from open tap in basement bathroom. The tap is fine, not leaking. The order went this way: main off; tub taps open, hot water kept leaking. Open sink tap in same bathroom; drip/stream stops at tub, moves to sink tap.

Shut sink tap, drip goes to kitchen; shut kitchen, drip goes to basement bathroom. I've been using before-meter and after-meter shutoffs a lot while trying to fix original problem. Help?

Janet

Last edited by ray2047; 11-06-13 at 04:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-13, 08:17 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Note: My original problem was a leak from tub spigot. Removed stems and seats from taps; replaced with new stems, seats, and washers. Removed stem from diverter. Diverter seat is stuck, stripped, somewhat smashed. A handyman solved the diverter problem by replacing the original spigot with one that has a pull-up diverter.

The spigot still dripped. The drip became a steady stream, which is why everything's off now. I'm trying to stop the stream that's pouring from tub spigot.

Janet

Old 11-06-13, 05:18 AM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
The drip has nothing to do with the diverter, water has to get past the valve stems to get to the diverter. So I would say that your repair to the stems was insufficient. If all the stems are new in the tub, you may have cross threaded the new stems so that a seal is not happening. Pull and try to reseat. Then determine if it is the hot side or cold so you can focus your efforts.

It takes a while to drain all the water from the pipes in the house. Water flows down hill. Open the tap in the basement first and then open all the valves upstairs. This will let air into the pipes and allow for the faster drain out the basement sink. Once the water is drained, there should be no drip in the basement.