Hot Water in Shower Only Warm, but Sink Gets Hot

Old 11-07-13, 05:48 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot Water in Shower Only Warm, but Sink Gets Hot

In our master shower, the last few days, it's been getting hot, but cooling off sooner than normal. Suddenly last night, it would only get to lukewarm. I thought that since it was our first cold night of the season, it was struggling to keep up with the baseboard heating. Well, right after the shower, I checked the water at the bathroom sink and other showers got plenty hot. Here are the specifics:

The system is tied together with our baseboard heating. The house is warm, and all other faucets in the house get very hot.

The shower fixture in question is a Kohler Mastershower setup. Stacked valve, with the top valve being the water flow, the bottom valve being the temperature setting. There is also a handle that controls which head gets the water. The temp valve has a little button on it that you push in, but I don't know what it's for. When originally installed, when turned all the way to hot, it would read 104*. I was messing with the button one day (years ago), and now all the way to the hot side only shows 70*. The actual temp didn't change, so I think I merely spun the dial without actually changing the temp, kind of like not having the steering wheel sitting straight up and down while the wheels are straight.

Like I said, last night, it suddenly would only get lukewarm. I messed with the temp valve, button pushed in, button left out, and nothing. What is the button for? Turning toward the cold side made it colder, and turning toward the hot side made it warm, but not hot. The sink gets very hot though.

I haven't taken it apart, because I don't want to break the silicone seal until it is necessary, and I'm not sure if I can see the actual valve, because I seem to remember the shower tiles cover most of the valve....I could be mistaken though. Edit: I'm not sure how to take it apart...there are two screws on the wall plate (escutcheon?), but I'm not sure it can come off until I've taken the valve handles off. Don't know how to take the valve handles off, as there are no screws holding it on.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Agar426; 11-07-13 at 06:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-13, 05:26 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatal.../1041158_5.pdf
We can not see what your handle looks like but if there's no visible hole in the bottom of the handle for a set screw then most have a plastic cap that pops off so a long screw in the center of the handle can be removed.