Vent Pipe

Old 11-10-13, 12:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vent Pipe

I am remodeling my basement bathroom. The drain pipes were never vented I have re plumbed everything I plan to tap into a vent line about 15ft away. My plan is to run the vent pipe (2) up the wall and along the ceiling. Where I plan to tap the vent line I do not have a lot room. My question is can the vent pipe that runs from the floor then along the ceiling drop down 3 to 4 inches before making the connection to the vent line or will this cause a problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-13, 01:26 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 15 Votes on 14 Posts
Unfortunately no, vents always have to continue up the same way drains always go down. As soon as you drop a vent, it can make it ineffective.

Also, the vent that you're tying into, is there anything draining into it from above?

Old 11-10-13, 03:42 PM
The best I can tell there is no water in this pipe. it runs along the main stack. I believe it taps back into the main stack on the second floor. this runs to just above the basement floor the into the stack. if this is used just for air I don't see any way for it to clog.

Old 11-11-13, 12:28 AM
Received 17 Votes on 14 Posts
if this is used just for air I don't see any way for it to clog.
It IS just for the passage of air and other gases and it won't "clog" but if it has a low spot that low area CAN collect water, either condensation or rainwater. If the dip is 3-4 inches it WILL fill with water and occlude the vent from performing as required. ALL vent piping must have a continuous rise to the point where it ties into a vent stack (vertical venting pipe).

Old 11-11-13, 02:23 PM
thank you for the replies. I guess I'll have to do it the hard way.