Water hammer arrestors

Old 11-11-13, 05:10 PM
Water hammer arrestors

Do Water hammer arrestors only work to fix water hammer on the device they are installed on?

If I install water hammer arrestor on my washing machine water lines, would that only fix water hammer coming from the washing machine, or would it fix any water hammer issues even if its from a shower at the other end of the house?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-13, 02:03 PM
Temporarily Suspended
If you have that much water hammer, I would dig a little deeper to see why. How old is the house & when did the problem start?

Old 11-14-13, 06:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Upvotes Received: 9
No, it won't help. They work by cushioning the momentum of the water when the valve is shut off quickly. There's no momentum on the other side of the house when the water is shut off, so it won't help in any appreciable manner.

Washing machines are known for producing water hammer because their solenoids turn off the water very quickly in a split second. A shower faucet should be different as it's closed slowly. As Pulpo was alluding to, it could be another issue like a failing pressure reducing valve (PRV).

Old 11-14-13, 03:19 PM
I'm actually not sure its water hammer. Randomly, maybe like once every 3 days I'll hear this quiet thumb thumb thumb, maybe continues for 20 seconds. I've tried to pinpoint where its coming from but haven't had any luck. I initially suspected water hammer, but it does occur when I'm not using any water, except maybe something automatic like the water heater. House is about 20-30 years old. At this point I'm thinking maybe its a hvac conduit flexing because I don't know what else it could be.

Thanks for your input.

Old 11-14-13, 03:56 PM
Temporarily Suspended
It doesn't sound like water hammer. What kind of heating system do you have? Did you hear the noise in the summer too?