Shower drain rough plumbing issue

Old 11-14-13, 10:57 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Shower drain rough plumbing issue

I'm trying to convert a curbed tile shower into a curbless shower with a trough style drain. The house has a slab foundation so this means I am jackhammering the slab up in the shower area to make room for a slope, pvc liner, drain flange and the trough drain.

I've demolished the existing shower and can see the p-trap is set up unusually high. The drain line connected to the trap is only 1-1/2" below the top of the slab. Looking down into the p-trap (the old drain flange was removed), the water level is only 3" below the top of the slab. I'm trying to get the water level above the trap down several more inches below the top of the slab so that I can have room for a slope, the 4" deep trough and a pvc liner, all above the standing water level.

Is it as simple as setting the p-trap deeper? Or do I need to also need to lower the drain pipe connected from the trap all the way back to the vent/drain behind the vanity?

Thanks,

Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-13, 02:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
You need to have enough pitch... 1/4" per ft... Additiionally the drain pipe needs to be 2" for a shower...

Not sure what your saying about your standing water issue...

Old 11-15-13, 05:37 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
Not sure what drain you are using, but research other trench drains to find one with a lower profile. Here is one that I have used, but you can search others that may be available in your area. Shower Drain / Linear Drain Showers Also, consider having the drain placed at the threshold as opposed to the back wall. You can raise the level by the wall while sloping the floor back toward the drain without major demolition of the slab.