Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

Dishwasher Not Near Sink... What is max length for hose if running downhill?

Old 11-15-13, 06:05 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hey All,

First time posting here and I have a plumbing question. I have a dishwasher that is a good 10 feet from my sink. What I was wondering if I can take the output from the dishwasher in about a 25' hose and run it downhill in the basement along with the sink drain into a standpipe in the basement? Is that allowed?

Technically I can't see anything wrong with it and it will work better than letting the dishwasher pump try to pump the water into and then back out of the basement to get to the kitchen sink instead.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-13, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,204 Votes on 1,114 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Why would the dishwasher be installed 10' from the sink

I'm not going to comment on the questionable basement connection but the hose must exit the dishwasher and loop up to the underside of the countertop before going on to the drain. If it's downhill after the loop it should work ok.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 3367
Size:  11.0 KB

Old 11-15-13, 06:28 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 688 Votes on 635 Posts
Why would a dishwasher be so far from the sink... If you were married to my wife you would understand. For years I've been wondering how to sneak another dishwasher into the house.

Does the standpipe in your basement have a trap? I would think if you ran the pipe downhill and into a stand similar to what a washing machine would have it would be OK. Since you are piping a long way I would use the largest diameter you can get and possibly step up in size so you don't restrict the pump in the dishwasher.

Old 11-15-13, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
I am pretty sure code dictates that a waste line should be brought near the DW. Such as a nearby cabinet... Trap and standpipe for air gap...

Of course then venting becoms a problem so an AAV would need to be used...

I dont think its allowed to go through the floor then back up to the sink either...

Can you do as you propose? Its your house.....

I would need to check code to give exact quotes. I have a sticky at the top of the plumbing forum... You can breeze through the codes there...

Old 11-16-13, 01:35 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It's not my house. It's my neighbors... and we are trying to replace the existing dishwasher which is nowhere near her sink. The existing piping job is a mess and goes all over the place. What exists now is nowhere near code and explains why her dishwasher smelled horrible most of the time.

What I'd like to do is to find a reasonable way to do it without gutting the kitchen. Thanks for the references, I'll checkout the codes.

Thanks