Basement toilet gurgle and overflow

Old 11-24-13, 02:49 PM
Basement toilet gurgle and overflow

My basement toilet has been releasing large air bubbles recently so after some reading I snaked and ran a hose through the roof vent and it did not seem clogged. The toilet will not flush sometimes but other times it is fine. Well 20 minutes ago it overflowed big time with what I found out to be the water from my upstairs shower. My daughter was in the shower and the toilet filled with hot water. Could it still be a vent problem or more like a clog in the main drain?
House built in 1969 with septic tank. Just had it pumped out 2 months ago and never had this issue before. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-13, 07:10 PM
Nothing to do with venting.
It's a blockage in the main drain and the basement toilet would be one of the first places to back flow up into.

Old 11-25-13, 01:35 PM
Thanks would it be better to pull the toilet and start there for snake or got through the clean out which is very close to toilet?

Old 11-25-13, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator
Upvotes Received: 3
If you open cleanout and see waste in there then you know blockage is after that... Then snake the cleanout...

Need large power snake with cutting bit...

Old 11-28-13, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the help. I snaked it out to the septic tank and it was clear. The tank was full of water so I had it pumped and dug up the outlet pipe. I then tried to find the distribution box. I dug the entire length of the outlet pipe and got to where the pipe starts to descend deeper(prob a 30 deg elbow) and it is now full of gravel and obvious water from the septic tank. My question is, is it possible that I dont have a distribution box but just a T or Y fitting and I have reached the drain field? I have been hand digging and the tank is prob 2.5 ft down but I am now at prob 4 ft down and the stone is hard digging. Dont want to keep going if I am never going to reach a box. Thanks

Old 11-30-13, 04:29 PM
Had a "pro" come out and look at my situation and he confirmed that I do not have a D box and only one pipe in my drain field. That one pipe is failing so I am now looking at a drain field install. Thanks