Outside shutoff valve not all off

Old 11-24-13, 01:48 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Outside shutoff valve not all off

To prepare for cold weather I shut the valve on the inside of the house to the outside water to my outside spigot. I opened the spigot outside but it drips from the outside. I tried to attach a picture of the shut off valve. Do you know if there is a way to adjust it so it tightens more? I tightened it all that I can by hand.

Attached Images  
Old 11-24-13, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
If it's the red handle valve then it may require a new washer. It looks like the packing nut is leaking a bit too. Did you try opening the little drain port circled in red to make sure the pipe was fully drained out ? It could drip for several days if water was trapped in the pipe.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 12484
Size:  30.4 KB

Old 11-24-13, 05:50 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The red valve is the shutoff valve. I turned the valve off at least a week ago so it should be empty. I did not try opening the drain port that you circled. I am not even sure what that is. Where does the washer go if i need that. I am still learning plumbing so please explain. Thank you.

Old 11-25-13, 02:46 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
The washer will go on the end of the stem. Turn the water off at a main shut off valve and relieve the pressure. Loosen the collar nut with a wrench and turn the collar nut and the red handle in tandem until the stem comes out. The washer will be attached to the end of the stem usually with a brass screw.

Old 11-25-13, 05:49 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would replace that valve with a ball valve, Gate valves tend to leak and not shut off all the way after a few years.
That line leading outside needed to be running down hill toward the outside.
It also would have been better to have a freeze proof valve outside.
freeze proof outdoor faucet - Bing Images

Old 11-25-13, 01:35 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I think Chandler's advice is spot-on. Those types of valves tend to have washers that wear out over time. Take the washer off and bring it to your local hardware store for a same-size replacement. It'll be the best $0.15 you've ever spent

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: