Basement bathroom venting.

Old 12-05-13, 07:57 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement bathroom venting.

We built or home two years ago had the basement roughed in for a future bathroom. I am getting ready to start on the basement now as I was planning my new Man Cave I did not find any venting for the basement plumbing. Everything was inspected while they were building to my knowledge I thought you needed to have venting for the plumbing to work properly But I am no expert on this. I was thinking that I could tie my basement vents into the end of the waste line from my first floor there is a clean out there that would be easy to tie into and it is directly above the basement bathroom rough in. I would run my pipe up and loop it in from the top side of the waste pipe with a y and another clean out. My theory is that it will vent up through the rest of the plumbing system?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-13, 02:23 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is good that you posted your question so recently as there was a segment of Ask This Old House that talked about bathrooms in a basement. It depends of course on your locality and the plumbing code but you might be able to use what they call a wet vent. While not a complete discussion of wet vents I will give you a link to the Ask This Old House video Tree, Basement Drain | Ask TOH Episodes | Ask This Old House TV | This Old House . In some states you have to vent directly through the roof from the basement. Check first with your building inspectors office

When you look at the video let it start and then click on section 4 of the video and it is at 19:04 on the video where it discusses venting. That whole segment though might be helpful to you in understanding what you need to do so I hope you will watch all of that part. Mike Lawrosa one of our plumbers on the forum can help you further. I welcome you to the forum!

Old 12-06-13, 06:55 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
You are correct, venting is required to ensure the plumbing works correctly and is installed to code. Since the house was just recently built, there may be a venting system there and you just don't know it. Could you take a few pictures to show what you're dealing with?

Tying into your 1st floor vents would create what's called a wet vent, and isn't allowed under most codes (UPC/IPC). Of course, you may have different local codes, but in most/all cases, you can't wet-vent between floors.

Let's see a couple pictures and we'll be able to help more.