Smallest Garbage Disposal or Garbage Disposal with Highest Drain Pipe Arm

Old 12-07-13, 09:47 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smallest Garbage Disposal or Garbage Disposal with Highest Drain Pipe Arm

Hey guys, ran into an issue I was not aware of when planning my kitchen layout. At this point I cannot move the drain pipe in the wall as it will tear up my cabinet and theres other issues involved.

I have a 3/4 hp insinkerator compact evolution currently, and the drain pipe arm would be lower than the drain in the wall (which obviously you can't install like this)

Do you guys know of any smaller height disposals which may cause the drain pipe arm to be higher up, or just a disposal that seems to have a very high drain pipe arm? If not, I'm not sure what I can do.

The sink drain down to the drain in the wall is 7". I really hope there is a solution here!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-13, 10:28 PM
J
Can the 90 degree bend at the garbage disposal trap arm be removed and instead a straight pipe used?

Old 12-07-13, 10:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Can the 90 degree bend at the garbage disposal trap arm be removed and instead a straight pipe used?
Yes...Use a regular straight tail piece...

Hope it gets you enough height.....Of course thelarge tee would not be used to get the height..There are smaller options...

This is just showing the straight piece.....

Old 12-07-13, 11:13 PM
J
Name:  plumbing.jpg
Views: 15668
Size:  13.3 KBI'm not a plumber so I cannot visualize how it will be setup, but my setup is quite different being that it is one sink basin and the drain pipe lines up directly under the sink drain, instead of offset. The dishwasher in the picture will be directly to the right. Sorry for the bad picture quality but now you have an idea with what I'm working with.

Garbage disposal manufacturer specs do show the distance from the drain in the sink to the discharge pipe of the disposal, the insinkerator says 6", so maybe it will work. Can the the drain in the wall be level with the discharge of the disposal or does the disposal have to be just a tad higher?

Old 12-07-13, 11:32 PM
J
And the reason moving the pipe down is not an option is this. Right now when the drain behind the wall was initially moved, it was extended about 30-35" on a horizontal run. Before the extension, there was no obvious vertical piping, so in this case, even if I tore up the back wall behind the cabinet, how could you theoretically move down the piping?

Old 12-08-13, 03:21 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Do you have an unfinished basement below? What is on the other side of that wall?

Garbage disposers are unnecessary and some say just lead to clogged drains. How strongly do you feel about even using a garbage disposal.

Old 12-08-13, 08:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You can rotate the disposer any way you want, left, right, back. I'll have to concur with Ray, is there a really a need for the disposer. Just problems down the line. (No pun intended).

Last edited by chandler; 12-08-13 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-08-13, 10:13 AM
J
Ray,

There is no basement below. It is a one story structure with no basement. On the other side of the wall is outside backyard, so the piping is in cinderblock/stucco wall.

I would really like to have a disposal as it helps a lot with small particles that are a pain in the ass to scrape off into the trash. Also, lots of sauces etc its good at chopping it up. Never had a problem with drain being clogged from a disposal.

It appears that there is a chance it can work? Like I said from the bottom of the sink drain to the centerline of the inwall drain pipe, it measures 7" exactly.

My insinkerator compact measurements from the manufacturer show from the sink drain to the centerline of the disposal's discharge arm to be 6".

Therefore, if the plumber removes the disposals 90 degree bend discharge arm and runs a straight pipe, technically the discharge arm of the disposal would be 1" higher than the in wall drain pipe.

Will this work out?

Old 12-08-13, 05:52 PM
J
How would my setup work if I used a horizontal straight discharge pipe in terms of it being able to hook up to the ptrap and not clog up?

Old 12-08-13, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Well this is what happens...

It looks like you may be good... Have you fit the disposal yet?

I am only going by the pic...

Show me that when its installed to see how much your off...

It will need to be a hard trap probably and not a standard P trap...

'I will get a drawing tomorrow or so...

Old 12-08-13, 06:36 PM
J
No I have not yet, maybe I should attempt to fit it and install just the mounting ring and disposal itself so I can send you a picture. Remember mine is a single basin, and I'm trying to remove that 90 degree bend downwards from the drain disposal discharge like shown in your picture, I want it to be a horizontal pipe there otherwise it will have 0 chance of working

Old 12-09-13, 08:21 PM
J
Can you explain what a hard trap is? I googled it but can't find examples. I have a plumber coming for $375 flat rate on Wednesday, and I would hate to spend the money and not be able to have a working disposal

Old 12-09-13, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator
Glue trap... Lowers the dimentions some.

Old 12-09-13, 09:09 PM
J
I'm still confused as I cannot visualize it, but given all the factors I told you, do you think a licensed plumber will be able to figure it out and get it working appropriately? Anything specific I can tell the plumber when he arrives to understand what to use/my scenario?

Old 12-09-13, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator
A plumber should figure it out... Nothing specific as he will tell you what I stated...

Unless he is no competent....

Old 12-10-13, 04:34 PM
J
The plumber is coming tomorrow morning, is there any specific diagram/picture that is similar to my situation that I can reference just in case?

Old 12-11-13, 09:27 PM
J
Thanks for your help guys, plumber got it done easily with no issues for now, hope it holds up

Old 12-11-13, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator
How about a pic or two?....................

Old 09-27-14, 02:36 PM
M
lawrosa: Could you explain more about this "hard p-trap"? Where would i find one? I have a super short connection between the sink drain and the pipe in the wall, and a more narrow (shallow) p-drain sounds like it might help. Thanks!

Old 09-27-14, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 797 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

A hard trap is the glue together type like on the left
. Any plumbing supply or big box store will have the individual glue together pieces.

Name:  trap.jpg
Views: 22628
Size:  26.4 KB