Replacing a part for a leaking toilet

Old 02-26-01, 11:30 AM
Visiting Guest
I have a Mansfield 160 toilet. It is leaking continously which means it is filling continously. I believe I need to replace the flush valve but I need to remove the old one do I do so by unscrewing it, the new one has threads, or what?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-26-01, 11:57 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Try to correct the leak (tank to bowl, I assume) by replacing the flapper first.
I would cut out the ring (that fits over the overflow tube in the middle of the tank), and use the "ears" that fit onto the L-shaped hooks at the base.
Clean the seat that the flapper seals on.
Adjust the chain so that the flapper has just enough slack to close good.

(Photo courtesy of atozplumbing - Plumber 2000)
Good Luck!

Old 02-27-01, 12:07 AM
I believe the mansfield 160 uses a central pillar system. You cannot use the photogenic korky flapper on this style. Yes the top of this unscrews. After you have turned off the water, remove the small hose that delivers water to the overflow tube in the center. You should be able to unscrew the plastic top and remove the entire flush pillar in the center. There is a large flat rubber gasket that attaches to the bottom of this assembly, most likely this is your culprit. Be sure to inspect the seat for damage, that is the ring on the bottom of the tank that the gasket sits against.

I will admit, I'm not a fan of these toilets. I have never found any way to improve the flushing capacity of the tank short of holding down the handle. That and it's small diameter waste outlet make for a poor combo. I refuse to install them.

Old 02-27-01, 12:13 AM
Cool

Thanks, Pauly.
I assumed that this was a conventional toilet. (I'm not a plumber.)
Never heard of a Mansfield 160, but NOW I know. LOL.
Mike

Old 02-27-01, 07:21 AM
Mansfield s*cks, I myself would just pull the tank and install a standard flush valve on it.

Old 11-22-08, 10:55 AM
Thanks Pauly,
You're a wealth of info. I'm just now working on a Mansfield 160 with the same leak problem. Does that center pillar unscrew or is there a nut on the underside?
Jim

Last edited by Jimfo; 11-22-08 at 11:10 AM.
Old 11-22-08, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by ;142606
I believe the mansfield 160 uses a central pillar system. You cannot use the photogenic korky flapper on this style. Yes the top of this unscrews. After you have turned off the water, remove the small hose that delivers water to the overflow tube in the center. You should be able to unscrew the plastic top and remove the entire flush pillar in the center. There is a large flat rubber gasket that attaches to the bottom of this assembly, most likely this is your culprit. Be sure to inspect the seat for damage, that is the ring on the bottom of the tank that the gasket sits against.

I will admit, I'm not a fan of these toilets. I have never found any way to improve the flushing capacity of the tank short of holding down the handle. That and it's small diameter waste outlet make for a poor combo. I refuse to install them.
Thanks Pauly,
You're a wealth of information! I'm working on a Mansfield 160 that is also seeping into the bowl. I'm assuming that the gasket below the flush pillar needs replacing since I already replaced the large, red rubber gasket that sits on top of the base but that didn't work. Without taking out the flush pillar I don't think you can even see the gasket you're recommending be replaced. Pauly, does that flush pillar unscrew. I'm having a difficult time removing that, fearing I will bust it off.
Jim

Old 11-22-08, 12:30 PM
This thread is over 7 years old.....and Pauly hasn't signed on for over two years......