Strange Water running/leaking noise (from next door?!)

Old 12-10-13, 09:05 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Strange Water running/leaking noise (from next door?!)

Okay, I live in a townhouse where houses are attached. I am in the middle.
These few days, I just realized there are some sort of light water running noise.
I thought it came from downstairs, I checked, nothing is leaking.
Then I came to realize that when I get closer to my bathtub, I could hear it even at night time. (while I didn't turn on any water)

Since my neighbor is not home all the time, I seldom talk to her. (she is a single lady that travels a lot)

My question is it is possible that light running/leaking sounds come from next door? (Sound from next door?! .. I really hope so..) That sound is like not turning the water faucet tightly, and water keeps running and dripping continuously. Or is it possible somewhere my house has internal leak that I don't know of? (BTW, I checked everywhere, no leak, wet water stain anywhere..) If there is internal leak, what could happen, pipe burst?

That is very strange to me. I hope I am not wrong.. Your suggestion?

(BTW, I am new to this forum, at first I tried chrome, and couldn't find the post new thread icon, just realized I have to use IE to make this work)

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-13, 09:46 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 438 Posts
It is very possible your neighbor did not full close the tub/shower valve and it's slowly running. It's also possible that there is a leak in the piping within the wall. I would certainly bring it up with your neighbor as soon as possible and keep an eye out in your unit for any signs of a leak.

Old 12-10-13, 10:03 AM
H
Question is if there is a leak in the piping within the wall. How could that happen if I didn't turn on any water? Water goes downward as I understand. I leaned toward my neighbor's water tub (I hope I am right). I also hope she didn't shut the valve of the tub or it will flood to her house as well as mine... Unfortunately, my neighbor is not home all the time..

Old 12-10-13, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Do you have separate water bills? Do you know where the meters are located? You could go look at them and with all water off in your house, look to see if the little red triangle is moving at all.

Old 12-10-13, 10:16 AM
H
Good idea.. I know where the main valve (that shuts off all the water, but that is not where the meter person gets the reading), however, there is some meter like thing by that shut off switch. Would that give me a clue if that leaking is from my house if no water is running or if any indicator is moving....? I will have to check it when I go home today.

Old 12-10-13, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Most times there is some sort of label or tag when there are multiple meters like that. There may also be some indication on your bill which meter is yours. If you can figure out which meter belongs to who, then you can verify. With all faucets turned off, there should be no movement. A running toilet will cause it to move, as will a leak. If your fridge has an icemaker, make sure it's not filling when you look, though that would be a very short time.

It could be something as simple as a leaking toilet fill valve. No harm should come from that except a high water bill. Running water sounds can travel great distances over the pipes and can be difficult to track down.

Old 12-10-13, 10:33 AM
H
"Running water sounds can travel great distances over the pipes and can be difficult to track down. "
That statement worries me....