kitchen drain repair help needed!!

Old 12-10-13, 06:37 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
kitchen drain repair help needed!!

So tonight im sittin watchin tv when I hear a loud bang in the basement. I go down and the kitchen sink drain pipe has come apart and hit the floor.I know that it has been in need of repair due to the previous owners quick fix. I need to run a new pipe from kitchen sink drain to main sewer pipe. The big question is how do I tie in pvc pipe into the iron vent at sink and then into the iron pipe main line? There is a threaded pvc coupler into the main line now I dont really want to disturb it but I believe once I start moving stuff around its going to break loose to. What do you use to tie into the vent? I havent opened the wall so I dont know how much room I have to work with. Or whats back there. Also is 1.5 id pipe suitable for this application? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-13, 07:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 260 Votes on 245 Posts
Sounds like Drano got the better of the line.

Can you take a picture or two of what you have and post them here.

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 12-11-13, 09:07 AM
Top pic black iron is main sewer out. Pvc pipe comes out to a sanitary t that is actually installed in the wrong direction. Straight from there goes to sump pump...that is another project ... 90 deg. From the t goes to sink...
Second pic is the length I have to go...about 20 ft
Third pic is rotated... the bottom should be the left side....the pipe with bag over it is the one to the main line held in place with engine hoist for now. The other is the one from sink. At that coupler there is galvanized pipe going through the floor / wall to the sink and vent through roof. At the sink from the trap to the wall is pvc then someone has used silicone or something to seal where the pvc meets the iron pipe
Any ideas? Hire a plumber? About how mich should a plumber charge for this repair? It might be my best interest to do that.

Attached Images    
Old 12-11-13, 09:12 AM
Forgot to add that there appears to be no cement on any of the connections other that where the drain threads to main line looks like bubble gum