Tie into sanitary sewer for water softener drain?

Old 12-12-13, 05:20 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tie into sanitary sewer for water softener drain?

I have a less than ideal situation of my water softener draining into my sump pit.

I would like to instead drain it into the sanitary sewer. However, its in basement and has to travel upward of 6-8 ft. to hit the 1.5" pvc. THe manual says the drain can be extended upwards of 6 ft. + an addition ft for every 10psi past 40. So I am good for 8' ft.... I think.

How do I tie into the drain line to extend the softeners flex drain lines (I think 1/2"?)?

Is this a bad idea?

My other option is to drain it into a laundry tub.

Im concerned since I think the softener drains at line pressure correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-13, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
You need an air gap.... You need to pipe it with a trap and a stand pipe... Just like your washing machine. If your washer is near by just put the discharge house in there....

Old 12-12-13, 05:27 PM
R
washer just drains into laundry tub.

There is an air gap that is directly under my kitchen sink... maybe a studor vent??? I dont know what its called but its definetly an air gap already in the drain line above the softener.

If that air gap is adaquete, is it just like hooking up a dishasher drain to pvc.... with the smaller barbed fitting that you would attach the line with a worm clamp? (EDIT, I reread the post .... I need a trap.)

So directly into the laundry tub then>?

Old 12-12-13, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator
washer just drains into laundry tub.
Great!!!! strap the discharge hose right into the sink...

There is an air gap that is directly under my kitchen sink... maybe a studor vent??? I dont know what its called but its definetly an air gap already in the drain line above the softener.
Nope... What you are calling an air gap is different then what I mean....

If that air gap is adaquete, is it just like hooking up a dishasher drain to pvc.... with the smaller barbed fitting that you would attach the line with a worm clamp?
Nope. Absolutly not... Not to code...

Old 12-13-13, 11:24 AM
R
Today I Was going to extend the drain into the laundry sink and it works great (I had to clamp the 1/2 ID black poly? drain line) to the sink.

I need to extend it a few feet to make it neater though. I couldnt find the same hardish black drain line that was used. It is connected to a barb fitting on the control head.

I bought a roll of PEX but realized when I got home I need a crimping tool. So Thats not the right stuff???? The only fitting is at the barb fitting (1/2 female to barb).... can I just heat up that end of the pex and slide it on? That is how the black poly tube has been installed?

Old 12-13-13, 05:35 PM
R
I returned the pex. Got the clear vinyl tubing. 5/8 OD 1/2 ID (same size as the black stuff that was previously used). rated 45psi instead of 60 though.

There is a barb fitting on the softener. Will the clear stuff stay on a barb fitting? Should I add a hose clamp too?

Old 12-13-13, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator
Add a hose clamp....................

Old 12-14-13, 05:15 AM
R
Is the clear vinyl stuff the right material?

Its only rated to 45 psi and is softer than the black plastic stuff that was used (60psi). Black plastic stuff was SIMILAR to underground sprinkler stuff but a bit thicker OD.

Also is a hose clamp ok to put over the barb? Wouldnt that compress the vinyl over the ridges causing leaks?

Old 12-14-13, 06:13 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Definitely use a hose clamp. Tighten it firmly but don't use all your strength.

Since the end is open and the pressure will be low, you may not need a clamp, but I wouldn't want it pulling apart and spraying everywhere. The clamps are worth the safety factor.

Old 12-14-13, 06:56 AM
R
I will use the hose clamp. I have two smalls ones, one that fits a 5/8 OD exactly or one size bigger.... I assume the one size bigger is best.

I always assumed the clamp would damage the barb ridges.... in other words, use one or the other not both....?

Old 12-14-13, 07:11 AM
Super Moderator
always assumed the clamp would damage the barb ridges.... in other words, use one or the other not both....?
Its your house.. You dont have to use a hose clamp. Just push it on if you feel that is good enough..

I put a small clamp on my softner discharge port.

These are what came with it, but I felt it was not secure enough...

Old 12-14-13, 07:17 AM
R
No, im not second guessing you... I want it to be secured. Im not to knowledgable about plumbing, I assumed if a hose clamp is used then there would not be barb ridges on the nozzle the tubing connects too thats all.....

And to clairfy, is that 45 psi clear vinyl stuff ok to use?

Old 12-14-13, 07:28 AM
Super Moderator
And to clairfy, is that 45 psi clear vinyl stuff ok to use?
Yes I assume so.. Mine is a green vinyl

Old 12-14-13, 11:28 AM
R
Thanks Lawrosa and Zordt-

I put the clear vinyl stuff on with a 5/8 clamp over the barb. Did the same for the safety drain. I tacked it to the baseboard area of the foundation of my basement with 1/2" pipe strap and then lifted it to the laundry sink. About 20' total.

The safety drain I just put it back into the sump.

Hopefully Im not missing something the previous owners may have experienced by putting it into the laundry sink.

Keeping it in what I think is an otherwise dry sump pit.... twice a week when the the thing cycles the pump was going off 15 times or so in the middle of the night. Very loud.

Also I think the salty backwash cant be good for the pump, which is only about 6 month old and already is rusting.

Old 12-15-13, 06:54 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Sounds like a good setup. Onto the next project!