Confused on basement drainage?

Old 12-13-13, 04:57 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Confused on basement drainage?

Im confused on how my drains in my basement work.

At floor level:

I have a sump pit, I am assuming that takes storm water away from my foundation. The pump is connected to the sanitary sewar (which is OK in my town).

There is small floor drain that I put the condensate from my HVAC.

There is another 4" drain hole I have plugged. I have no idea what it is for.... I see very little water in the bottom from time to time but there is no trap or cleanout I can see. No potable water is running into it.

About 3 feet from this mysterious drain is another drain outside of the basement for a walkout door. That does have a trap I think, there is definetly a cleanout.

The laundry drains into a tub that disapears into the floor by PVC pipe (not orignal for vintage of home).

I dont see any of these floor drains or the laundry dripping into the sump pit though?

That where I am confused since the main sewar is about 3 feet higher than the floor and about 50 ft. away from these floor drains.

I know its probably impossible to say, but what is likely occuring here?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-13, 10:04 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
Are you able to look in the sump pit and see how many pipes are coming into it and their sizes?

Obviously anything that doesn't go into the sump pit must drain outside and not to the sewer.

Old 12-13-13, 11:27 AM
R
I just see one 4" pipe going into the sump which does not drip anything into the pit when I use the laundry sink (and presumebly the other floor drains). I do hear dripping though in proximity to the sump pit but the water level is not rising when I use the laundry sink.

So anything below sewer main cleanout is going around my foundation or out to the yard?

Thats where I am confused.

Old 12-16-13, 01:49 PM
R
Obviously anything that doesn't go into the sump pit must drain outside and not to the sewer.

If that is the case, how is that possible in freezing weather?

Its our first winter here, draining laundry and such into floor drain below the main sewer, is that not a good idea?

Last edited by rards; 12-16-13 at 02:04 PM.
Old 12-16-13, 02:26 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
The house I grew up in had the main sewer (toilet, bathroom and kitchen) exit through the basement wall about five feet above the floor. The laundry tub and floor drain went out under the basement floor. Simply meant there were two side sewers.

Old 12-17-13, 06:18 AM
R
Well the mystery continues (and I know its impossible to decipher this from my rambling posts).

We ran a few loads a laundry yesterday. Later that night when the softener was running and draining into the same laundry sink, I heard the sump go off once. So that means some water does make it to the sump thru the laundry tub. When I checked the pit this morning there is no water dripping into it.

Is the sump pit essentially an overflow for a storm drain or drain that runs around the foundation? (Or in my case, the same drain that my laundry tub is empties too?)

Again if I run water in laundry sink now, I do not see any water dripping into sump pit?