Replacing Flexible Gas Line to Dryer

Old 12-15-13, 12:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing Flexible Gas Line to Dryer

I'm replacing the flexible gas line to my dryer. I shut off the gas valve to the dryer previous to disconnecting anything. As I started to disconnect the old flexible line from the dryer, I smelled gas. As I said, the gas valve is in the off position. I would assume that there is some residual gas left in the pipe that is still connected, but I felt it was better to be cautious than to proceed quickly. I tightened the old gas line back to the dryer since I had only turned the nut one full time. Should I smell gas as I disconnect the line that is currently connected? How do I know if I'm smelling an abnormal amount of gas when doing this? This job seems simple enough, but should I call a plumber to do something this simple?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-13, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Yes, a whiff is normal. It shouldn't persist for very long. Doesn't mean the valve couldn't be bad. You can just pull the line off and hold a soapy wet finger over the valve. It's pretty low pressure. If you see bubbles or smell more when you release your finger, you'll need a new valve.

Open a window or door to ventilate while working. It takes a very precise air/fuel mixture to explode, a door or window will dilute it. No flame/spark producing devices should be used while working. Gas water heater in the room? Turn it off completely.