Water line shut off for bathroom

Old 12-15-13, 07:22 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water line shut off for bathroom

Right after the holidays I plan on gutting and doing a full refit of my daughter's bathroom. I am going to try to everything but the ceramic tiles myself.
Her bathroom is in a second floor apartment and I would like to have a shut off for the hot and cold lines in before divining it up to the bath, sink and toilet.

When I was a kid, my parent's home had a small door that allowed shutting down the water to the entire bathroom with one valve.

Is this practice obsolete?
I can't find (At the big box building supply) any decent "water cabinet" already made to suit this application.

Does anyone have suggestions?

If a pipe split while I was away, by the time she made it to the basement office of my house where the main shut off is, half my home would be flooded.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 12-15-13, 10:21 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Nope, no "ready to install" solution but you CAN install the valves inside the wall and then cover the opening with a removable service cover. These are available in many different sizes and for a range in prices. The mega-mart homecenters have them in plastic with springs that simply hold them against the wall for a price of around $10 to $20 depending on size. If you want something a bit nicer, metal doors, either steel or stainless steel are available for significantly higher prices.
Do a Google search using the search term plumbing access doors.

Old 12-16-13, 03:54 AM
Received 174 Votes on 158 Posts
Will the bathroom still have heat while you're doing this remodel? If so just cap off the water lines in the room itself using shark bites. I did my whole bathroom without turning off any water. If you don't have isolation vales under each fixture this is the time to put them in.

Old 12-16-13, 05:32 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furd

Do a Google search using the search term plumbing access doors.
That is embarrassing. You would think I have never used google before.
Thank you Furd. I spent 40 minutes browsing sites and search things like "Water valve cabinet".

I found something that will do the trick in about 40 seconds using "plumbing access doors".

Thanks!