Sillcock with odd connection

Old 12-17-13, 08:52 AM
Sillcock with odd connection

Good morning everyone,

I've got a sillcock that is leaking like crazy. This started as a really slow drip and is now a steady stream. Trouble is that this house still has polybutylene piping which I have not got around to replacing and I've never worked with polybutylene before.

I have no clue how these connections work and this one looks odd anyway. Can anyone tell me what is going on here connection-wise and how I can replace this without buying any special poly-b tools? I cannot find a shut-off for this spigot so I need to replace it ASAP. My initial plan had been to just cut the copper just behind the spigot and solder a new spigot on but I am afraid that the heat will melt the plastic piping.

Photos below:

Name:  IMAG0031.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  33.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0032.jpg
Views: 962
Size:  36.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0033.jpg
Views: 588
Size:  34.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-13, 09:40 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 213
That certainly is an interesting connection there.

Name:  spout.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  28.3 KB

Old 12-17-13, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
I'm no plumbing Pro...but that is very odd. Almost looks like copper swaged over some sort of threaded nipple? Then the PB clamped to some sort of internal threaded fitting?

I don't think Sharkbite type fittings work with PB do they?

I'd cut it and wrap a wet rag around the copper near the PB, then do what you have to do. No way the heat is going to hurt the connection with a cold wet rag wrapped around it.

The problem may be that that is some sort of freeze proof spigot and the actual washer and seat are in the knurled section. Is the copper even a standard size?

Old 12-17-13, 10:44 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 213
Vic.... it is a frost proof valve and the sealing part is on that knurled section.

It almost looks like the soldered an adapter into the end of the faucet and then crimped on the flex. In my opinion... that would mean that the flex would have to be cut off.

Old 12-17-13, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Never seen one like that. Most are chromed steel(?) now?

Makes sense that someone could have used some sort of insert in the end. Maybe it was even a common thing when PB was used?

Old 12-17-13, 10:55 AM
Upvotes Received: 44
You need to shut the water off to install a valve anyway, so have you tried just removing the stem from the sillcock and replacing the seal? They're typically just a rubber grommet, sometimes cone shaped, with a screw in the center, and available at your nearest hardware or big box. On second glance, it looks like you have a vacuum break, which could also be the culprit, and the parts to repair those are available as well.