Questions about finding drain and vent pipes

Old 12-18-13, 06:06 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Questions about finding drain and vent pipes

I am thinking about adding a new utility sink in my basement to kickoff the construction of my homebrewery. Based on some climbing around and some educated guesses I think I have found the vent, and am possitive I've found the main drain stack.

There are 2 pvc pipes going into the concrete floor; one is about 4 inches and the other 1.5 inches. I can hear water flowing through the 4 inch pipe whenever I run water from sinks upstairs. No matter what I turn on I cannot hear water running through the other pipe.

My guess as to why this pipe is going through the cement is to vent another drain that is across the basement which is for my kitchen.

Does anyone have any ideas that would prove this theory wrong?

In addition I am wondering if cutting into this main stack about 6" off the ground and adding a drain is alright? I plan on installing the sink maybe 10 feet away so there will need to be a bit of slope. Also, there is a drain coming into the stack about 4 feet off the ground which comes from the concrete wall (coming from my first level bathroom. Because of this I don't think the pipes will bend very much once I cut out a section, what is best way to get a T connection into a section like this?

Over the phone estimates of this project have been $850+ so I can't pay a professional to do this. Does this estimate seem about right?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-13, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
As long as your sure no water flows in that vent you are good to go IMO.... The vent tie in needs to be 3ft above the top of the flood plane or sink rim...

Just look in the attic and see if you see that vent and where it goes...

Old 12-19-13, 06:26 AM
M
I do see a pipe coming from that position in the house. However I'm not sure I can guarantee it's the same one because it does travel through a wall past a bathroom.

Thanks for the input about the position of the tie in. Are there any rules about how high off the ground a drain must be?

Old 12-19-13, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator
Are there any rules about how high off the ground a drain must be?
No... It could only be so high right?

You must connect the drain to stack using a Y... Do not use sanitary tees..

Old 12-19-13, 10:05 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
what is best way to get a T connection into a section like this?
Use two no-hub couplings to connect to short PVC stubs attached to a Wye like Mike said.

No hub coupler:

Old 12-19-13, 12:37 PM
M
Thanks guys for the help.

So just so I'm sure I should use a wye like this to drain into a vertical drain stack?

NIBCO 3 in. PVC DWV H x H x H Wye-C4810HD3 at The Home Depot

Instead of a Tee like this?

NIBCO 3 in. x 3 in. x 2 in. PVC DWV All-Hub Sanitary Tee-C4811HD332 at The Home Depot

Old 12-19-13, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Yes the wye as you show... To get back on the horizontal you insert a street 45 then pipe accordingly.........

But you probably want a 3x3x2 or 3x3x 1 1/2 if you can find it... If not use a 2 x 1 1/2 bushing to reduce to 1 1/2.........

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-19-13 at 02:16 PM.
Old 12-19-13, 12:58 PM
M
Perfect, thanks again for the help!