Hot water heater lower element repair

Old 12-19-13, 06:59 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hot water heater lower element repair

Hello. I am new to this forum, so thank you to all whom reply. I just had a question about the average cost it would be for a guy to come out, non-emergency, and replace the lower element in my water heater. The water heater was installed in 2010 by the previous owners. It was installed by another company then the one I used last night and still under warranty, but I did not receive the paper work from the last owner. At any rate, the guy came out and checked the water heater to see what was wrong. He was there for about 15 minutes before he diagnosed it as a broken lower element. He left for about 45 minutes to go get the part. When he came back, he worked about another 20-25 minutes to install it. He charged me 190.00 dollars. I checked, and the price of the element is about 15 bucks from Walmart or Menards. My friends think I was overcharged, as it is a pretty easy fix; however, I just wanted some professional opinions before I jump to any conclusions or take any action. So, was 190.00 dollars to just diagnosis the problem and replace the lower element on a common water heater over priced? Thank you all for your time.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-13, 07:37 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Yes that price is reasonable... Probably on the low end here in NJ...You need to understand the cost involved regardless the part is $15 bucks..

Cost of getting the tech to your house... Fuel, electric in their warehouse, insurances, salary's, etc....

The heater should have been under warranty so the part should have been free... But dont know who you called.. If you called the manufacturer for warranty service possibly the cost would of been more...

parts and tank are covered 6 yrs on most heaters... You only pay labor charges after the first yr...

Oh and welcome to the forums...

Old 12-19-13, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Seems reasonable to me. Might have been a bit cheaper if he had one with him, but he can't carry one of everything.

Of course, that's why this DIY site exists, people don't want to pay that kind of money for "simple" fixes. They come here to learn and try to fix it themselves.

Old 12-19-13, 08:34 AM
E
Gunguy45 and lawrosa, thank you so much for your replies. I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to give me advice.

Old 12-19-13, 08:40 AM
E
I fixed an element in my oven a few days ago. Dang proud of myself, too. Sure, at first when working on it I forgot to turn off the electricity to the oven, and I took apart the apparatus and wires that connected to the stove-top burners and which had nothing to do with the lower element in the oven part, but I did it in less than 3 hours. I am applying to be a moderator, soon, with that type of skill.

Old 12-19-13, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Oh yeah, you have what it takes to be a Mod. Sounds like yer overqualified as a matter of fact.

Might want to apply for Administrator.....lol.

Old 12-19-13, 10:44 AM
O
Two service calls and 40 minutes of labour plus the $15 part. I can`t imagine anyone staying in business charging any less.

Old 12-19-13, 01:50 PM
Received 66 Votes on 57 Posts
Sounds really reasonable to me. The time to go after the element is part of the labor charge, or should be. You also said this was at night, the labor could have been at time and a half.