leak from vent pipe?

Old 12-20-13, 03:11 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
leak from vent pipe?

I just noticed the paint on a first floor had paint bubbling near ceiling about 18" wide at top with some soft drywall and then path about 4" traveling down wall. It has been painted for about 1 1/2 years. Above this wall is a pocket door and there is no obvious water damage here so I doubt water came down this route. There is a sun tunnel about 3-4' away from the area of bubbling paint, but there is no bubbling paint near the ceiling where sun tunnel comes out. there is a over range vent that comes down in same wall, but it is 5' away and there is no water damage between it and the bubbling paint. In the wall right where the paint is damaged is a 2" vent pipe. tracing it's path from attic, it branches off main stack and travels about 2' horizontally, makes a 90 and travels another 7' horizontally, another 90 and then 2' horizontally. it now takes 90 down into a wall then into the 2nd floor floor joist bay where it makes a 90 and travels in direction of joists for about 5', then making a 90 down another wall-which is the wall where the paint is bubbling. I think the damage has to be from this pipe. i did have some issues when plumbing was done and several supply side joints were not glued! So it is possible that the joint there is not glued. But several things don't make sense. This plumbing has been done for about 4 years and I have never noticed any water. We did just have a little snow-maybe 2". very wet snow. We have had worse since plumbing done. another thing that doesn't make sense is how water could travel down the main and then go down the 2" branch that is a 90 bend-any water going down pipe would tend to go straight down! I went on roof and looked down pipe for blockages but didn't seen any. So, any thoughts? I certainly can cut out drywall and see if joint is glued but even if it isn't I don't understand how a significant amount of water could get down this pipe? Also, should I put a 180 bend on top so no water can get down the pipe? Is that OK from code standpoint?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-13, 03:51 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
May not be at that point yet but sometimes the only answer is to cut a hole and look.

Old 12-20-13, 03:53 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Look in the attic for stained sheathing.
Very common to have the seals rot out where the sewer vents through the roof.

Old 12-20-13, 03:59 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
Duh. I never thought about climbing into the attic.

Nice, Joe.

Old 12-20-13, 04:37 PM
H
I have already been in attic to see how the pipe routes. remember, the roof penetration is NOT above the location of the leak in the wall. I didn't look closely at sheathing, but I doubt water could travel along all those horizontal runs to get to the wall! I did look at the rubber boot from the roof and it looked good and fit tight against pipe. Just doesn't make sense after this much time to suddenly occur. What about putting a "U" on the top of stack. Is that OK? Suggested?

Last edited by hammerash; 12-20-13 at 05:22 PM.