Running water noise when nothing is on

Old 12-21-13, 08:24 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Running water noise when nothing is on

Last night I noticed in my upstairs bathroom that I heard the noise of running water. I woke up this morning, and the noise was still there. I went downstairs and noticed that it was loudest near the water heater. I first turned off the cold inlet to the heater, but nothing changed. So, I turned off the main valve. This made the noise fainter, but I could still hear it. I went to check my water meter, but it doesn't look like it was moving at all. What could be the problem? I've been searching around for a while, but I couldn't find a post where the water noise kept occurring even when the main valve was off.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-21-13, 08:33 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Did you turn the water off at the meter, or inside the house. You could still have a pipe leaking between the meter and the cut off inside. Try turning it off at the meter with a curb key to see if the noise stops completely. Is your house on a slab or over a crawl/basement?

Old 12-21-13, 08:38 AM
S
I don't have a curb key with me to do that. Not really sure which one we're over. We live in a condo, and do have a basement, but the basement isn't a concrete one like I've seen before. Would it be best just to call a plumber?

Old 12-21-13, 08:44 AM
O
Do you have your own water meter and bill or is water built into the condo fees. If the later, then you are likely on a community water line with the other residence and what you are hearing is them running water.

Old 12-21-13, 08:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If it is a condo, who's to say it isn't water problems from a neighbor's unit? They may have a running toilet or worse. I'd check with the HOA, too since it is inside walls, it may be a common problem, that should be addressed by them.

Old 12-21-13, 08:54 AM
S
I checked the water meter and it seems it is moving, just slowly. The 1/2 foot wheel is the one that is moving. Would that confirm that its a problem in my house?

Old 12-21-13, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 825 Votes on 775 Posts
Yes....the 1/2 foot indicator moves the most with the least water use.

If you're hearing water run only in the bathroom then it would most likely be the toilet.
Try turning the shut off to the toilet off.

Old 12-21-13, 05:25 PM
S
Came home and the noise was even louder than before, had to call the plumber. He said there's probably a leak underground, it was obviously not any of the toliets because of how loud the sound was. Unfortunately the sump wasn't working, so it was very full, but luckily it did not over flow. Tomorrow he'll drill and fix the leak. Thank you all for your help.