Backup Sump Pump Guidance

Old 12-22-13, 06:02 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Backup Sump Pump Guidance

Need some guidance about what I should do with my sump pump setup.

I have a 1/2HP Cambell Hausfield sumppump. I do not have a battery backup. I do own a portable generator and a new pump in a box as a backup.

Should I install a battery backup pump as well? My 'backup' now would take me a long time to get running and I really dont have a plan in place if that were to occur.

What options do I have besides those expensive basement watchdog units that look kinda of flimsy anyway.

Unfortunetly I cant spend alot $$ on this, what options do I have?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-13, 06:35 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
You have a number of options... a lot of your decision should be based on how much damage would be done if the sump overflows. If it'll just make a mess of an unfinished basement, that's much different than ruining carpeting, furniture, etc etc.

Your current solution will work if you're in the house if the power or pump fails. But what if you're on vacation? Here are some options to consider, with very varying price tags:

- Secondary backup battery pump
- Manually started generator
- Automatic generator
- Water-powered pump

I've never used one, but some people seem to like the water-powered pump since it will work without electricity. I've never installed one, so I can't give you many details. But definitely something worth looking into.

Old 12-22-13, 07:13 AM
Received 175 Votes on 159 Posts
What Zorfdt suggest are good.

However, if I were you I would get another pump of the same dimensions or design and have a discharge pipe attached to it of the same length as your existing pump with a Furnco adapter for quick disconnect. Put a check valve after it if you want so that water won't come back at you as you make a change out from old to new.

My experience shows that non of the battery back-ups work when you want them to. The water jet options (water powered pump) work but but in reality you're just adding more water to an existing problem.

The best solution is a generator be it auto or manual. Just be sure to keep the exhaust outside and away from windows, and do not tie into existing electrical system without a transfer box installed.