pipe glue

Old 12-23-13, 03:42 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 225 Votes on 200 Posts
pipe glue

Is the pipe glue the water works use the same as the PVC glue we use? Is it affected when used in cold temps? I think it's 2" blue pipe.

Back in the spring the county "rebuilt" the bridge over the creek. While working on the bridge they managed to uncover the water main under the creek bed. Over time that pipe has popped up a good foot or so above the bed. We got a lot of rain saturday night and sunday which caused the creek to swell and sweep a lot of debris along the way which took out the water line. The man from the water works said they can't fix the pipe until the creek goes down. It's supposed to quit raining about noon today, give it a half a day or so for the water to go down and we are into freezing temps. Can they replace and glue up the pipe when it's that cold?

I tried to get them to fix this before it became a problem but the water works said they didn't uncover the pipe and it was the county's responsibility to bury it and of course the county says it ain't their pipe

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-13, 04:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Pretty sure it's the same stuff. Cold weather might slow the setup time but it should still work. Otherwise there wouldn't be much plumbing work in the winter.

Old 12-23-13, 05:07 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
All of them ideally would need to be of 40 deg. to work.
Under those conditions I'd be using this one.
PVC Rain-R-Shine® Blue Cement | Plastic Pipe Cements & Primers | Oatey

Old 12-23-13, 05:14 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I won't be doing the work, I'm just concerned that the water works won't be able to get out water back on. Currently there are 10 homes without water and they said yesterday they couldn't repair it until after the water recedes. I sure hope they get it repaired by tomorrow when all the kids show up for our Christmas get together.

Old 12-23-13, 10:25 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The prospects of having running water today look good

For some reason the water works gave their maintenance crew the week off but a supervisor and helper have been wading the creek, working in the rain to make a temporary fix. They are trying to raise the pipe about 2' so they can get it out of the water where they can patch it back together. I just hope the water doesn't freeze up when it gets down in the teens the next few nights.

Old 12-23-13, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator
And then...lucky you...you get to clean all the crud out that got into the pipe.

I can't figure out how they are going to raise a pipe ( 4"? 6"?) pipe that should never need to be moved after it was installed?

Old 12-23-13, 03:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I haven't been back down to the creek in about 4 hrs but it's dark now and we still don't have water
Looks like we'll be going to one of the kid's house to take a shower. Hopefully the water works won't be closed tomorrow. At this point I'd be more than willing to flush the pipes, even take the faucets apart to back flush the crud out of them.

Old 12-23-13, 03:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Praise God!! the water just came back on, it's brown but hopefully it won't take to long to clear up

edit; we were just notified that we need to boil any water used for human consumption during the next 12 hrs ........ but we got water!!

btw - it's only a 2" main, it's the supply line for the holler [10 homes] it branches off the 6" main line on the 2 lane road.

Old 12-23-13, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator
Go tell everyone to turn on all their faucets for an hour or so.

2" main? For 10 homes...wow. Bet pressure is an issue sometimes.

Old 12-23-13, 03:25 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
sometimes ??? My house is highest. I do not have a PRV on my house, don't need one. I average 20-30 psi although I have had overnight spikes as high as 50 psi. But it's a lot better than it was before they installed the 6" pipe on the main road. 20+ yrs ago taking a shower was a scary thing, I don't know how many times I soaped up and then shower head went . drip drip

almost forgot - they said the chlorinated water needed to sit in the pipes overnight to help clean them up.

Old 12-24-13, 10:25 AM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Praise God!! the water just came back on....

Good to hear that, what a nightmare it would be with company in the house.

Maybe there is a Santa Claus??

I'd think it would have to get pretty cold to freeze a 2" line but I'd use a lot of water just in case.

Old 12-24-13, 10:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ya, you miss water when it doesn't come out of the tap. I told my wife it felt really good to take a shower last night after not having one for 2-3 days and she pointed out it hadn't even been 36 hrs