Leaking Pipe in Wall Needs to be Rerouted

Old 12-24-13, 07:50 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Leaking Pipe in Wall Needs to be Rerouted

I have a leaky pipe in my wall the plumber discovered the location and was able to stop the leaking. He said it was broken in the slap.

However, in order to fix the pipe he would have to demo concrete expose line and make repair, or do a reroute.

The reroute is the best option. It has to go from the pipe base in a small bedroom down stairs over the bathroom and into the laundry room at the base of the floor.

He quoted me $2200 for this repair of the plumbing. I don't think this covers the drywall repair. Does this seem reasonable?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-13, 08:01 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Made some more local calls and getting some more quotes will get you some real prices.
Asking on any web site will get you a bunch of useless guesses from people that have never seen the job.

Old 12-24-13, 09:38 AM
Z
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
Iím no plumber (and there are some real plumbers and knowledgeable folks on this forum) but given that the material cost would seem to be a small part of that cost, and the fact that it doesnít include wall repair Ė it does seem pretty high to me.

Maybe you could ask him or others if/when you get further estimates, some of the details of how they would do a re-route job like that. Probably much more involved than my paltry experience and imagination leads me to believe. LOL

Good luck hope you get it fixed OK.

Old 12-24-13, 09:49 AM
Group Moderator
Received 492 Votes on 451 Posts
If it is broken in the concrete slab, how did he stop the leak? Breaking up concrete is not that big of a deal. It is grunt work, which is something any DIYer can do himself, even if it means renting a few tools. I would almost bet that if you said you would demo the concrete and expose the pipe for him that his estimate would come down dramatically. I know plumbers are expensive ($80-$100/hr) but there is no way there could possibly be $2200 in time and materials in that repair job.

Old 12-24-13, 10:04 PM
J
Here are some pictures of the completed job.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...77CBC2E4%21228

But I think I may have been charged too much. Just looking for others opinion.

The first two images are the is the laundry room, the third image is the bathroom between the laundry room and the bed room. The reroute has to go through this room.

The last image is the bedroom on the other side of the bathroom.

Thanks!

Old 12-25-13, 04:58 AM
Received 174 Votes on 158 Posts
Seems reasonable to me. You're talking major demo work and lots of time.

Old 12-25-13, 07:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Somthing seams amiss with the pics... If they went from one manifold to the other with pex pipe, the bottom of the manifold after the pex tie in should be capped...

Looks like a tee was just added from manifold to manifold...

If so I think they took you for a ride........

Old 12-25-13, 07:22 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I was going to comment on that, but glad Mike took the lead. Unless that supply going under the slab in the bathroom is capped, the water is still under pressure all the way back to the laundry room and will still leak, if there was a leak. That underground pressure line should have been abandoned if the leak was in the slab.

Old 12-25-13, 12:17 PM
J
Thank you very much for the reply. Now I am scared they did not do something right, but I don't 100% understand exactly what you are saying.

Plumber wrote Cold Side 3/4 in copper water line broken under slab. Owner opted to eliminate 3/4 cold line from slab and reroute 3/4 cold line. Otherwise it would have involved demo concrete, expose the line, and make repairs.

Below are some better photos that are more clear. It seem there is a pipe coming out of the slap in the bedroom wall that is still open. And there is a pipe in the laundry room still open. Picture 1 and 3 show these two open pipe. I have pressure in my house and all is working and no water is coming out of these pipes.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...77CBC2E4%21234

Does this change your opinion any? Or do I need to call another plumber to get the job done right?

Thank you so much for your help!

Old 12-25-13, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator
Yes john...That is what we were looking for... Your first pics where deceiving...

That is how you by pass a line under the slab from manifold to manifold...

$2200 does sound a bit high for a 1 pipe bypass, but take it for what it is... I am wondering what pipe they used.. White pex??? But that threaded joint looks compression type...

I am a bit leery as the norm is pex barbed fittings with crimp or cinch rings...

How far was this run ft wise? Did he find the manifolds fast ?

Old 12-25-13, 01:32 PM
J
Whew... Thank you! I would say the from pipe to pipe it is about 16 to 20 ft total for the hose. He was here about 3 hr to find leak and cap it. It took another 1.5 hr to reroute it. 3 to four small cuts in dry wall to find the leak. He ended up giving it to me for $1800, which included $350 leak detection. Is that a fair price or on the high side? And if high by how much? We were kind of in a bind cause my wife was home and I was out of town. No drywall repair. So she didn't get quotes.

Old 12-25-13, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator
Yes... Thats fine.. Leak detection is right on par... And the $1800 is not uncommon...

I am not familiar with that type of connection though...

IMO leave the walls open a few weeks and watch for leaks at those connections..

Possibly ask him to come back and snug them up before you close the wall....

Old 12-26-13, 05:00 AM
Received 174 Votes on 158 Posts
That's some heavy corrosion on those pipes. How about an opinion as to cleaning them or just leaving them alone.

Old 12-26-13, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator
That's some heavy corrosion on those pipes.
Its cement I believe... Just leave it...

Old 12-30-13, 08:25 PM
J
Thank you for all your help!!! Those pipes do look nasty with all that cement. Is that normal for a builder to be so messy? Will that impact the pipes in anyway? The soldering also looks kind of nasty as well, but I am not an expert.

Old 12-30-13, 08:38 PM
Super Moderator
Yes thats normal from what I have seen..

When they pour the slab some are messy...

The pipe should have been wrapped better IMO.. When not protected through the slab with a sleeve or wrap then the cement has an acid effect on the copper... From the lime I believe...

Its worse when it stays damp I think...