White Tape on Gas Joint

Old 12-24-13, 12:50 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
White Tape on Gas Joint

I found a capped nat'l gas shutoff in my basement ceiling. Seems a pipe going outside was removed at some point.

My concern is that white teflon tape was used on the joints....

Is this something I should be concerned with?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-13, 05:23 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If you have the choice, I would turn the gas off, purge the pipe and remove the shut off and use an approved brush on thread sealer, or at least the yellow gas teflon tape. Look close by to see if there is a union. Without that, it would be a moot point as the shut off would be captive.

Old 12-25-13, 04:29 AM
CHANDLER WROTE: If you have the choice, I would turn the gas off, purge the pipe and remove the shut off and use an approved brush on thread sealer, or at least the yellow gas teflon tape. Look close by to see if there is a union. Without that, it would be a moot point as the shut off would be captive.
Really? your going to tell this lady to disassmble her gas lines? lol

A moderator suggesting this is pretty irresponsible if you ask me. :NO NO NO:

Old 12-25-13, 04:52 AM
Received 174 Votes on 158 Posts
Technically he's correct and morally he has an obligation to give the correct advise. But he also infers that doing nothing is OK as long as there is no leak.

For many years I used the white Teflon tape on gas line with no ill affects. Now as dictated I use the yellow stuff. The key is that you don't allow the tape to overlap into the flow or end of pipe. To be sure the technical use of Teflon tape is to lubricate the threads to ease assembly not to seal the thread. But many of us use it to seal also.

Old 12-25-13, 05:38 AM
Bigboypete, since this is a DIY site, the information given is for people who intend to do things themselves, so giving safe advice is always a priority. Working on a gas line is no more dangerous than working on line voltage with proper precautions. I'll take your admonition in stride, knowing you probably have never worked on a gas line before. Teflon tape in and of itself, as Norm stated is to prevent seizure of the joint, and sometimes does not seal well. I would be concerned if I saw white teflon on a gas joint. My local inspector would go ballistic.

Old 12-25-13, 06:52 AM
Bigboypete, since this is a DIY site, the information given is for people who intend to do things themselves, so giving safe advice is always a priority. Working on a gas line is no more dangerous than working on line voltage with proper precautions. I'll take your admonition in stride, knowing you probably have never worked on a gas line before. Teflon tape in and of itself, as Norm stated is to prevent seizure of the joint, and sometimes does not seal well. I would be concerned if I saw white teflon on a gas joint. My local inspector would go ballistic.
To the original poster, call a licenced plumber or your gas utility if your concerned.

To the moderator, rationalize it any way you want. But your advice is dangerous and extremely bad judgment on your part.

This isnt about teflon tape ..... "purge the pipe and remove the shutoff" ... Yeah sure DIY... any other questions? ask the guy in the plumbing department at the home depot! lol!

Last edited by bigboypete; 12-25-13 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-25-13, 07:35 AM
This isnt about teflon tape
You know, I re-read the OP and I get the feeling it WAS about white teflon tape. Silly me. Thank you for allowing me to rationalize things myself. After 65 years, I was waiting on that. I'll go mute on this thread since you disagree with my advice.

Old 12-25-13, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Just to add my 2 cent.

I would not be worried about the white tape... I still use white tape today for short gas line repairs... I dont think I ever bought the yellow stuff....

I dont think yellow tape is code or any different from the white tape... After all if I used white teflon paste what would be the difference? They dont make a yellow teflon paste....

Id have to check code on that though to be sure and see what may have changed......

Old 12-25-13, 08:04 AM
As a matter of fact they do make a pipe dope (yellow tube) specific for gas. The white stuff (tape or dope) apparently can decompose and allow leaks.

Anyway we do sell both at our home improvement store and are required to advise customers accordingly.

Old 12-25-13, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator
The white stuff (tape or dope) apparently can decompose and allow leaks.
Its been used for the 30 years I have been plumbing... What changed???

I will check code and post back......

Old 12-25-13, 08:36 AM
{The white stuff (tape or dope) apparently can decompose and allow leaks.}

Its been used for the 30 years I have been plumbing... What changed???

I will check code and post back......

Mike NJ
I don't know. Must be a Communist plot.

Looking forward to what you might turn up.

Old 12-25-13, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator
Fuel gas code. ( Says nothing about color...)

403.9.3 Thread compounds.
Thread (joint) compounds (pipe dope) shall be resistant to the action of liquefied petroleum gas or to any other chemical constituents of the gases to be conducted through the piping.

Its all the same stuff, just different colors... ( Its a gimmick IMO...)

In a commercial/hospital setting I believe they may need to use certain colors like use for oxygen lines...etc Yes the pink is thicker and the yellow has a higher psi rating I believe...

Here is one...

http://www.bmicanada.com/products/bmi_specs_teflon.pdf

And here is another...

Last edited by lawrosa; 12-25-13 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-25-13, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, the yellow/pink stuff is thicker and specifically states it's compatible wit NG, propane, etc. I agree...it's probably a gimmick/non-issue but someone somewhere must have decided it was a good thing?

Who knows if there's some sort of additive in it?