Ice and snow buried the main roof vent

Old 12-24-13, 02:19 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ice and snow buried the main roof vent

We had a little snow (about 10 inches and 4 inches of ice/freezing rain) here last week and ice and snow buried the main roof vent.
The vent is also the roof run off drain.

I checked the big box web sites but did not find a potential solution.
Can anyone point me to where I could buy some type of pipe tat would extent the venting above the snow line but allow the roof run off water to enter the drain?

Thank you,

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-13, 02:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 447 Posts
Such a vent setup would not be legal here in the US, as the added rainwater from roof runoff would quickly overwhelm the wastewater treatment facilities. It's the same reason sump pumps cannot be run into city sewer lines. Without knowing anything about how big your vent pipe is or what it looks like, we really have nothing to go on. Perhaps someone from Canada will be along and will be familiar with your type of setup.

Old 12-24-13, 02:59 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks XSleeper,

I am happy to hear someone out there thinks this design is A$$ backwards too, but it is very common here with older flat roof homes.

4 inch stack that goes up 2 floors and turns to 2 inch vent straight above the second floor bathroom and doubles as water evacuation from the roof. The entire roof is slanted to the center where this drain is.

There is a secondary 2 inch vent that comes up from the kitchen sink drains in the rear corner of the house, which is connected to the main stack only in the basement.

A friend lives in a little newer home and he has 3 vents, one sink line vent by the skylight, one like mine and one like the drawing attached. Ideally I would like something like the Kessler drain in the picture but with height to avoid being buried in the snow.