How low is ok to put the washing machine outlet box for hot / cold water?

Old 12-25-13, 01:50 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How low is ok to put the washing machine outlet box for hot / cold water?

Is it ok to put in a washing machine outlet box right behind a washing machine instead of above it? I am doing a stackable washer and dryer in a tight area and want to put the outlet box for the hot and cold water as low as possible. This is just so that the outlet box doesn't interfere with the dryer vent for the dryer which sits on top of the washing machine.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-13, 01:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 851 Votes on 797 Posts
The shutoff valves can go anywhere. There is no specific or required height.
Usually, you'd want them to be located somewhere that can be reached without moving the machines in case emergency shutoff is needed.

I don't believe there is a specified height for the washer receptacle but it would be ideal where it could be unplugged without moving the unit.

Old 12-25-13, 03:53 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
There IS a standard height for the drain connection, I'm not certain but I think it is 34 inches from the floor. That stated, mine is much lower and it works just fine.

Old 12-25-13, 05:16 PM
Group Moderator
Usually if the drain line is too low.... you risk the tub siphoning out on a partial drain.

Old 12-28-13, 08:41 AM
T
-- "the tub siphoning out on a partial drain"?

What do you mean by that PJmax?

Old 12-28-13, 08:46 AM
Group Moderator
The drain line should be kept at the same height as the washer. If it is lower then the washer then once the water pump starts the drain process it won't stop until the tub is empty.

Several cycles do partial drain downs and would empty completely.

Old 12-29-13, 08:03 AM
T
Uh oh. I don't know what to do. My dilemma is complicated by the fact that I need to put the water outlet box in to accommodate two different sizes of stackable front load washing machines, either a compact washer or a mid-sized washer. I know that ideally you want to have the washing machine sized up before doing any rough-in plumbing, but it's just not possible now so I have to make compromises.

Here are the critical heights:
  • Compact stackable front loader washer height = 33 1/2"
  • Mid-sized stackable front loader washer height = 39" almost
  • Dryer vent line = 37" (measured from floor to bottom of vent)

Where should I put the water outlet box? If I don't get it right and place it too low, will it overflow when it starts to drain? If I put it too high, what's the worse that could happen?

Old 12-29-13, 01:41 PM
F
The problem with locating the box too low is that the washing machine may siphon as has already been stated. The drain piping MUST be 2 inch nominal size or it may overflow regardless of the height mounted. The drain hose from the machine must be above the maximum water level of the machine or else siphoning is a distinct possibility. That does not necessarily mean the height of the machine itself, just the height of the water at maximum level.

Within reason there is no problem in locating the drain higher. Six feet above the floor should not be a problem with most machines other than maybe needing an extension on the drain hose.

Old 12-29-13, 05:26 PM
T
I don't really understand this concept of siphoning, so I looked it up in the dictionary and it says that siphoning is the drawing (i.e. sucking) of water from one chamber through a tube to another chamber. I assume this isn't a desirable thing in regards to washing machines and drain boxes. When siphoning occurs, is the water going from the washing machine to drain line box or the other way around, from the drain line box to the washing machine?

The other thing I don't really understand is the process of water filling and draining the washing machine "tub". I assume the tub is supposed to be part of the washing machine, correct? So, isn't the tub (i.e. washing machine) supposed to completely drained of all the water before the spin cycle begins?

Old 12-29-13, 06:17 PM
Group Moderator
If you look at the diagram I drew.... the tub inside the machine is blue. If the drain is not mounted at the red line or above..... when the machine fills, the water will start coming out of the drain line as it's below the water level. Once the water starts to flow it will continue until the tub is empty. That's what's meant by siphoning.

Name:  APP.jpg
Views: 8697
Size:  14.5 KB

Old 12-29-13, 10:43 PM
T
Thanks PJmax. Let me get this straight... You're saying that if the water outlet box including drain line is too low, ex: lower than the red line in your picture... then the water will unfortunately siphon out of the washing machine when filling and into the drain line. Am I correct in stating that?

Oh yeah, I read a little bit about siphoning here:
Siphon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-09-14, 09:04 AM
T
How do I find out what the max water fill line is for a washing machine? I went to look at some new washers before buying one and I couldn't find anywhere on any washing machine what the max fill line is.

I think, as was discussed in the last few replies, that knowing the max fill line is important so you know how low you can put the outlet box and drain line into the wall.

Old 01-10-14, 12:18 AM
F
The instruction manual should tell you. For front loading machines it will never be higher than half-way up the door. I don't know anything about top loaders.