secret to joining 1 1/4" pvc ?

Old 12-26-13, 01:44 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
secret to joining 1 1/4" pvc ?

THe guy who fertilized the trees in the yard used a 30 lb or so pointed metal pole to poke hole in the ground and then he puts the fertilizer in the holes. Well he really has no idea where the sprinkler pipes are and he nailed a 1 1/4" pvc pipe. The pipe has ben there quite some time and the ground is full of roots and stones. Is there any trick to getting a coupling in a tight space ? I was thinking of perhaps one of those rubber joints with the two stainless clamps on each end. I hate to have to dig up 4 feet to get enough working room.

THanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-13, 02:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
You can pick up a plastic or brass barbed fitting that goes inside the polyethylene pipe. You may have to heat the pipe slightly to get fitting to go into the pipe and then you'd put on two stainless steel hose clamps on the outside.

The clamps and insert fitting are available at most home improvement centers and plumbing supplies.

Name:  barb.jpg
Views: 538
Size:  6.7 KB

Old 12-26-13, 02:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Is it white PVC or black poly?....................

Old 12-26-13, 02:50 PM
L
It's white 1 1/2" PVC. And what I was trying to describe earlier is a "rubber pipe coupling connector".

Old 12-26-13, 03:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 835 Votes on 782 Posts
White pvc for sprinkler ?

For that you could just use a PVC coupler and glue.

The fitting you are asking about is a Fernco coupling but as far as I know they aren't used in high pressure applications like water supply lines.

Name:  fernco.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  5.1 KB

Old 12-26-13, 03:51 PM
A Fernco won't hold pressure. You will probably have to make the repair using a short section of new pipe and 2 slip joints glued. Or incorporate a union in the mis.

Old 12-26-13, 06:01 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi, Sounds like you are in a tight spot. Maybe you can do the repair with 4 ninty dergree elbows.
Cut about 6 inches at the break then glue 2 elbows pointing up ad a stub up. then connect the stubs when you are done you will have bridged the break that looks something like a U (you).
Good Luck Woodbutcher
l

Old 12-27-13, 04:08 AM
L
Thanks guys. I've seen those fittings before but never gave them much thought. Is a slip-fitting / compression fitting / span joint all the same thing ? They seem to get a little pricey at 1.5" (for a sprinkler system). And I'm not sure I will find one where I live.

If the rubber fitting can't handle the pressure - it is a shame there isn't a poor man's solution using regular PVC. Something like a regular coupling but slides ALL the way onto one side with lots of glue and then slide it back over the other pipe halfway - kind of like copper tubing . Maybe put a clamp around the 'forward' side (front of the pressure) - to take the place of the solder.

I guess the 4X90 degree couplings was the right way to do it before someone came up with all these fancier solutions.

Old 12-27-13, 04:25 AM
They do make a non demarked slip coupling, right next to the ones with a dividing center. A little tricky to use, but the cost of the slip joint I mentioned will be reduced by the time it takes you to install it. Mueller Global 1-1/4 in. x 1-1/4 in. PVC C x C Irrigation Compression Repair Coupling-160-106HC at The Home Depot

Old 12-27-13, 07:38 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
I've never tried it but have wondered if a coupling could be cut 60%/40% lengthwise leaving the 60% piece a C shape. Apply primer and glue to both pieces then pop the C shaped piece over the pipe. Hose clamps could be added for extra support.

Old 12-27-13, 01:18 PM
L
I like that idea for its simplicity. I hope you guys appreciate the easy access you have to all these various parts. We have a Home Depot here but they have only 3/4" compression joints. I haven't found the demarked couplings yet. Today I ran the sprinklers with the metal rod the guy used to cause my problem stuck in the hole he made in the PVC. It wasn't such a bad interim solution - it was kind of like another sprinkler head :-)

Old 12-27-13, 06:52 PM
H
Received 70 Votes on 61 Posts
Seems like there is a simpler way.

1) retrieve the shards of broken PVC from inside the pipe.
The shards, are a "jigsaw puzzle" version of what you need to plug the hole.

Plug __
Pipe
_________ ___________
( ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Take PVC cement to glue them together to create a correct sized plug to fit the hole.
Up is right so the pipe with the hole looks like this C

2) Dig out the area around the hole so you have about 4" to either side of the hole in the PVC.

3) Get a coupling. Cut it lengthwise into two halves.
End on view is something like this ( )

3) Clean the plug, the pipe and hole, and the couplings thoroughly.

4) Glue it all together.
Plug fits into the hole in the pipe.
Both halves of the coupling then fit over the pipe - something like this

concentric looks like this

( C )

Edge on like this.

Coupling
( ))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

5) Reinforce with hose clamps.

Old 12-28-13, 04:46 AM
Ihpdiver, You can certainly order the slip coupling from HD, even if they don't carry it in stock. Too simple a solution.

Hal, I followed you until right after the close parenthesis of the "1", then you lost me. Why travel around the world to get next door? It seems like an awful lot of work to do what a repair coupling would do in 10 minutes, and I am afraid yours will blow out under pressure.

Old 12-28-13, 12:08 PM
W
Hi, I hope you get the pipe fixed. But I have a question for you. That is a big pipe thats broke, just what are you watering?
Woodbutcher

Old 12-28-13, 12:13 PM
L
Larry - I live in Mexico, where pizza isn't pizza and Home Depot is not like Home Depot in the states.

Well I never did find exactly was I was hunting for but the glue is drying. I couldn't get the water out of the pipe so first I plugged the hole with silicone (there were no PVC shards - it looked like a bullet hole). Then I cut some PVC tubing in half, applied primer and glue and secured the patch with two stainless clamps.

In Florida I had used a fernco coupling for years on the 1 1/4" return for the pool. I often thought of replacing it with a PVC coupling but never got around to it. It was above ground and I saw it every time I cleaned the pool filter.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Old 12-28-13, 12:20 PM
L
Woodbutcher - we've been in this house less than a month and in 60 years this is the biggest back yard I have ever had to mow :-) What's neat are all the fruit trees we have which bear really good fruit. We have a lime, peach, avocado, mango, tangerine, navel orange, coffee, pepper and a few others that I don't know...

Old 12-28-13, 12:44 PM
W
Hi, Thanks for the reply. Sounds like you have enough to keep you busy.I have a couple of orange trees and the hardest part of the deal is getting rid of the oranges. I give mine to a food bank.
Woodbutcher