Adding tub functionality to the "Shower only" MOen faucet

Old 12-27-13, 08:29 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding tub functionality to the "Shower only" MOen faucet

Hi,

I screwed up, I think for the first time this year

MOEN Commercial Shower-Only Faucet in Chrome-8342 at The Home Depot

Ordered this Moen faucet, not realizing I will need a tub spout as well.
The rough in valve looks like Moen (catchall) positemp multifunction valve with two inlets and two outlets. In the instructions (for the shower only) it says to cap the top facing outlet.
If I don't cap that outlet and use that for the diverter valve and subsequently the shower and the bottom for the tub, am I causing more trouble to myself than it's worth?
Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-13, 09:46 AM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Rough ins are designed that the top is to the shower and the bottom outlet is for the tub. In your instance, you would use the bottom outlet for the tub spout that has a pull up type diverter built in. The upper outlet will go to the multi-function 3 position diverter that operates the shower heads. The three positions are - shower only, hand held only, or both simultaneously.

Old 12-29-13, 08:33 AM
N
thanks!

thanks a lot czizzi,

That's what I suspected, kind of logical direction of the water flow as you look at the valve. Why they said to cap off the top outlet to plumb the shower is beyond me, but let's hope they had their own reasons

Follow up question,
Do you think this valve can support (as far the flow rate goes) a rain-shower 8" head. I am guessing that diameter of the head is irrelevant, inlet is 1/2" and I have about 65lbs pressure in the house.
Kind of weird set up, but i have a hot water branching out with 1/2" about 10' from a 3/4" supply line and the cold water is 1/2" probably 20-30' in a slab, so hard to know even to guess.
I am hoping that positemp-magic will be able to decipher and adjust the flow to balance out any differences.
Thanks,

Old 12-29-13, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Do you have a shower and a tub???

Yes you cap the top... The bottom goes to the three function diverter valve... That diverter valves function it shower, handheld shower, and tub spout...

That is a comercial valve and you could have done the same with a standard moen shower diverter....$600 vs $80 bucks....

Old 12-29-13, 10:04 AM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
My goof, Moen runs different than Deltas - to clarify for anyone reading looking for Delta.

A Delta 3 function diverter runs 2 units - each unit separately or both together. A 6 function diverter runs 3 units - any one single, or any combo of two. I have not installed a multi-function Moen, but have installed several Delta's. They use the same universal rough-in valve R11000. For 3 function you cap the right-hand port. For 6 function, all 3 ports go to separate units.

So Moen runs any one unit, but not a combination of any two? Nice to know info for me as well.

Old 12-29-13, 02:27 PM
N
thank you both!

lawrosa, yes I do have the tub, that was my original concern.

So you are saying I still have to cap the top outlet, take the bottom one to the diverter valve and from there distribute to either one of the three - shower or handheld or tub.
Just want to make sure I am not messing things up

I actually paid $252 at HD & assume you are talking about the valve only for $80, right?
I got the whole shebang with the exception of the tub spout that I hope I can get for $30 or so?
You like Moentrol valves better, i know... Will it make a better choice in my application as well?
I could just get a separate rough-in moentrol and just use the trim from the positemp?
MOEN Rough-in Moentrol Pressure-Balancing Volume-Control 3-Function Transfer Valve with Stops 1/2 in. CC-3330 at The Home Depot

Old 12-29-13, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator
why do you want volume control?

Why not hook up tub, shower normal and install a add on spray? Does not make sense unless to have a 6ft x 6ft shower...

Really most do not use them for tubs.. Mostly shower and body sprays...rain heads and such

Old 12-29-13, 03:24 PM
N
you lost me there lawrosa

What do you mean "hook up tub, shower normal"? How many valve will I need then?

I am not that concerned with the volume control as much as the no-scald capabilities of the positemp.
It's only 6'x3' shower, so not that big

Old 12-29-13, 03:35 PM
Super Moderator
Old 12-29-13, 03:45 PM
N
Got it,

Thank you.
I think it's what I have now, only with two handle type of vale instead of one.

That is in part why the whole project was started, the boss does not like the add-on shower. She wants a separate shower and shower sprayer on the sliding bracket.
So, you guest it, that's the way it's gona be, dog on it.