Copper Piping Rules and Restrictions

Old 12-28-13, 07:00 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Copper Piping Rules and Restrictions

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of getting ready to add a shower in my basement washroom as well as move my toilet. The underground plumbing\draining is done, and now it is time to bring the water.

I have worked with pex before, but everything here is copper, and I dont have the tools for pex, so I will just stick with copper. (I can solder just fine).

My question here is (I know that code is different from place to place, but I am asking generally): Are there any special rules\restrictions I should be aware of before I start? Things that come to mind is for example, so many ''Y'''s per linear feet, or restrictions on angles and so on.

Sorry if my question is somewhat vague, but I'm hoping I can get a bit of help.
Thanks in advance!
Nic

Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-13, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
I am in the process of getting ready to add a shower in my basement washroom as well as move my toilet. The underground plumbing\draining is done,
How did you make out with the venting???

Are there any special rules\restrictions I should be aware of before I start? Things that come to mind is for example, so many ''Y'''s per linear feet, or restrictions on angles and so on.

For water line??/ No not really... Tapping of a main somewhere? If close use 1/2".. If run is somewhat far run 3/4" runners then tap off them...

Last.. here in the states when pex pipe is added to a copper system the relief valve at the heater needs to be changed to a 100 psi variety or one added in the system somewhere...

If you have a PRV at the main it would be good to add an expansion tank also...

Old 12-28-13, 07:23 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We did very well for the venting. It was a very big job and I was intimadated (chipping the old cement, laying down the pipe, and pouring new cement) but thankfully I have a friend who is a plumber and he came over and did it with me (all for free). I dont want to bother this guy too much, so for the rest, I can do it on my own.

I am not adding pex, I am sticking with copper, so the vave isno issue. I'm not tapping a main because there was already a sink + toilet in the bathroom. I will just tap into that and run it to the shower - nothing too extravagant at all.

I think you have answered my question. Very much appreciated kind sir!