Are hammer arresters gimmicks?

Old 12-28-13, 08:35 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are hammer arresters gimmicks?

Plumbing outlet boxes for washing machines and fridges with the built-in hammer arresters. Are these things gimmicky? I've heard that the hammer arresters get clogged with water or air, or something to that effect that basically renders them useless. Anybody have any experience or issues with these things?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23625[/ATTACH]

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-13, 08:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
yes they work well with the newer fast closing selonoids on appliances tody..

They work well..

The thing with that type is they lose the air charge after a while... When this happens all you need to do is drain the system down and refill... It replaces the air and your good to go....

Old 12-29-13, 07:45 AM
T
Thanks lawrosa. I think that's its great that they stop water hammering noises, but I wonder how common do these noises occur. I don't recall ever hearing water hammering noises at the houses that I've lived in. I would buy one if only they were maintenance free.

It sounds like it can be a pain in the rear end to drain the system and refill. And how do you do that? Is there a way to unscrew the top long cylinder part or something? And anyway, how do you know when it is time to service the unit?

Old 12-29-13, 08:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I think it somewhat depends on the type. Some are just air filled chambers in contact with the water, others use a membrane/bladder of some sort (I think). The second type are relatively maintenance free, but would probably require maintenance/replacement after years of use. They even make them that can be installed in-line between the valve and supply line, like under a toilet or for a washer.

If I understand correctly, water hammer depends a lot on the water pressure and how long the run of piping is. Also, what type of pipe and how it's installed.

Draining isn't that hard...and it doesn't have to be completely drained...just enough to allow air back into the arrestor. You'd know it was time when you started hearing a knocking noise that wasn't there before.

Old 12-29-13, 08:17 AM
T
So basically, the worst thing that could happen if you don't service the unit when it needs to be serviced,is that the water hammering noises come back. Correct? I mean it's not like the unit is going to explode and water is going to be everywhere, right?

I'm just wondering because I was thinking about putting one of these things in a rental property, but I don't want to deal with extra maintenance headaches to service it.

Old 12-29-13, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
No, nothing will happen if it gets waterlogged or fails somehow except the noise. Water hammer can damage fittings and appliances if severe enough and left to go on. No reason to install one if you have no hammer though, at least not that I know of.

Old 12-29-13, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
These are the maintenance free type..

Just need to check the air pressure and add air if needed to the manufacturers specs...

Old 12-29-13, 11:14 AM
T
Wow! That. Thing is huge! Where do you mount it?

Old 12-29-13, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator