Can't get sprinkler head out of ground.

Old 12-29-13, 11:48 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can't get sprinkler head out of ground.

We have a nice cobblestone and cement driveway. For some reason it was laid on top of the sprinkler system. In fact at one corner of the driveway, a foot in from 2 edges is a 4" round cement tube which contains a sprinkler head. The sprinkler head needs to be replaced - water is gushing from the base - perhaps 7 or 8 inches from the surface.

I was able to remove the top and inards of the sprinkler. The hole is too narrow to get a pair of pliers on the plastic edge. I can get a needle nose on the plastic but it just turns and turns. I apply pressure while turning but it never rises. I was so pre-occupied that before I knew it I had fire ants all over my right hand and now I have 3 fingers starting to swell up.

Before I break up my driveway I thought I'd run my situation by you guys for ideas.

Thank you.

Edit : I suppose I could use a really big screw driver and try to break up the base of the body.

Last edited by lhpdiver; 12-29-13 at 01:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-13, 12:52 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Even if you are able to remove the broken head, you won't have enough room to replace it. I've installed a lot of sprinklers & never had one in the middle of a driveway. Another way around it is to find the poly pipe on the side of the driveway, cut it & install the head there or eliminate that head completely.

Old 12-30-13, 04:29 PM
W
Received 11 Votes on 9 Posts
Hi, Sounds like a broken pipe nipple or fitting. Try turning it and pull it.
Woodbutcher