Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plumbers putty or gasket that came with sink strainer?

IL

12-29-13, 04:53 PM   #1 (permalink)  
Plumbers putty or gasket that came with sink strainer?

I am installing a new sink. Most of what I read says to use plumbers putty around the bottom of the sink strainer between the strainer and sink. My sink strainers came with an almost foam like gasket for on top (for underneath there is a rubber gasket). My question is, do I just use that foam gasket, remove that and use plumbers putty or use the gasket and putty?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

NJ

12-29-13, 04:55 PM   #2 (permalink)  
Use the gasket only, or putty only... Not both...

You sure thats what its for?

I toss them and use putty.. But have only seen them with bath sinks.....

Mike NJ

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".

- Albert Einstein

CAL

12-29-13, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)  
Hi, I read the directions on a tub of plumbers putty and it stated not to be used on cultured marble.
We used tub /tile caulk.
Woodbutcher

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

12-29-13, 07:03 PM   #4 (permalink)  
You sure that's not the foam that holds the stopper in place until the cables installed in the new style quick connect faucets?
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/a...Parts_2149.pdf

If so once the cables connected it gets removed and tossed out.

IL

12-29-13, 10:27 PM   #5 (permalink)  
I don't think it has anything to do with the faucet.

The foam probably forms a decent seal. I would think the plumbers putty would form a better seal. Unfortunately, the directions are extremely vague.

NY

12-30-13, 06:19 AM   #6 (permalink)  
I'm a believer in plumbers putty but the new prevailing practice is to use silicon caulk. And yes, plumbers putty is not recommended for marble or granite as the oils in the putty will stain the stone.

Super Moderator

NJ

12-30-13, 07:46 AM   #7 (permalink)  
And yes, plumbers putty is not recommended for marble or granite as the oils in the putty will stain the stone.
Not just stains but causes hairline cracks too...

Mike NJ

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them".

- Albert Einstein

IL

12-30-13, 09:01 AM   #8 (permalink)  
Not sure how granite/marble comes into this. I am talking about where the strainer attaches to the sink. Both are stainless steel.

IL

12-30-13, 09:05 AM   #9 (permalink)  
I did find the install guide online and it says to use plumbers putty. The foam ring is for under the sink.

The disposal I bought (GE) says not to use plumbers putty on a stainless steel sink install (putty to be used on other sinks) and to use a rubber gasket it came with.

WA

12-30-13, 01:57 PM   #10 (permalink)  
Standard plumber's putty is for porcelain and metal sinks or for tile and laminate counters. It WILL cause problems with either natural or man-made stone products. However, they also make "stainless" plumber's putty for these other materials. Problem is the stainless material costs five or six times as much as the regular and both products come in a tub that will last an average DIYer well into their third lifetime.

Search this Thread