Should I replace this stack?

Old 01-03-14, 12:32 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Should I replace this stack?

I am doing a kitchen reno and all the plumbing is on this wall. The sewer line/stack is obviously original. should I convert it to PVC? There is a knuckle at the bottom that is flush with the concrete floor, would that need to be busted up? Can I remove the original fittings and use PVC? Can I tee off one of the two inlets and run a Y to drain the washing machine? I know I asked a lot of questions, but I have a lot of questions

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-14, 12:37 PM
R
Old 01-03-14, 01:15 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
It looks like it's in pretty good condition. I can't see any marks from leaking or any cracks. I would probably not replace it unless you need to add additional connections.

Is this a single story building? Does it just go up through the roof straight up? It wouldn't be too much work to replace though you'd need to do some roofing work to replace the boot. You can probably leave the hub in the floor and work up from there - but others will have better advice for doing the cast-to-PVC connection.

What are your plans? Is the kitchen sink going to remain right there? How far away will the washing machine go? You'll probably need to vent the washing machine separately... but that depends on how far away it goes from the main stack.

Lots of questions gets lots of questions back

Old 01-03-14, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Yes replace all with PVC and bring up to code...

You have a wet vent there now and that is illegal... You have the wall open so its a no brainer IMO...

What feeds from above into that stack?

For the laundy and kitchen sink you will need to reconfigure and vent the arms accordingly to local and state plumbing codes..

Also only shielded no hub mission couplings should be used with cast to PVC transition....

Old 01-03-14, 06:39 PM
R
Yes, this is a single story I have a Washing machine drain about 4 feet to it's right, that goes into the floor. I wasn't sure if I should tie into it when I move the washer (about 3 feet over) or run a new line from the stack in PVC. I will be hiring a plumber, but I hate not having general knowledge so I'm not taken advantage of.

Old 01-03-14, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
You need to revent... Show what the plumber proposes to do and I can guide you... Just get estimates... Call a few that will come out for free... Your looking at $800 bucks minimum IMO....

Last edited by lawrosa; 01-05-14 at 08:10 AM.
Old 01-05-14, 05:23 AM
R
Thanks lawrosa. Will do.