Water main corrosion and responsibilty question

Old 01-04-14, 09:34 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water main corrosion and responsibilty question

3/4" water main enters my house thru the foundation wall in basement. There is some sort of caulking surrounding the pipe but I also notice some of that green corrosion on that portion that passes thru the wall. There are no soldered connections in this vicinity that I would usually associate with the flux/green stuff.

Should I be concerned about this?

Also this is prior to the meter/check valve..... that's likely the towns responsibility correct?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-14, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If it's passing through concrete...it's likely just verdigris type stuff from the alkalinity of the 'crete. Should have been wrapped where it passed through. Unlikely it will be a real problem, at least for many years.

As to who's responsible...depends on local rules. I've seen some places where anything off the main line is your problem but the meter is theirs, others where anything before the meter is their issue.

Old 01-04-14, 12:42 PM
R
I think the town verbage splits the water into "Private" and "Public"... 'Private' being from the buffalo box in the street to the customer where 'Public' terminates at the buffalo box. If that's the case I must be responsible from the shutoff in the street to the house.

Old 01-04-14, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Sounds likely...though buffalo box is a new term to me. I get what it means...just never heard it.

Old 01-04-14, 02:59 PM
R
Maybe buffalo box is a regional thing?? ... the metal cap in the yard you need to open and insert the 3' key into.

Old 01-04-14, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 498 Votes on 457 Posts
Anything from your house to the street is usually the homeowner's responsibility.