Slow draining tub...sulfuric acid?

Old 01-04-14, 01:49 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Slow draining tub...sulfuric acid?

Hi, first post, great site. One of the tubs upstairs has a slow drain, it has been this way for a couple of weeks now. There are 2 sinks in this bathroom, which drain fine.

I went to Lowes and bought a zip-it drain cleaner thing. I used it from both the drain end and the overflow end but got nothing. I didn't expect much since my 2 boys use that shower and they both have very short hair.

The guy at Lowes sold me a drain cleaner product containing sulfuric acid. He said it wouldn't harm my pipes. Once I got it home I read the directions and it said it will harm metal.

Folks on this site recommend against using this type of chemical if you have metal pipes. So here is the crux of my question.

The pipes attached to the drain are pvc, but the main drain pipe leading to the waste line is metal. Does this mean I shouldn't use this product?

Thanks

Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-14, 02:12 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 93 Votes on 82 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I wouldn't use this regardless - if someone ends up having to snake this drain for you, that stuff could splash on them.

Any other drains in the house slow?

Old 01-04-14, 03:09 PM
T
Nope , all the other drains seem to run just fine. Also, this drain isn't real slow, but an inch or two of water will build up during a shower. It just seems to drain a bit slower than other drains in the house. But all the water built up from a shower will drain in about 30 seconds.

Tom

Old 01-04-14, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
How to you stop the water in the tub? Trip lever?

Try removing it and see if needs cleaning...

Stuff a damp rag in the overflow opening... fill the tub and plunge with a plunger...

Let us know...

Oh edit:...

I actually found a video that shows the correct way to clear a tub clog... Believe it or not was produced by the home store...

This is how I been doing it for 30 yrs now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwANFKK__kk#t=77

Old 01-04-14, 04:35 PM
T
Yes a trip lever stops the water from flowing into the drain. I did remove it when I used the zip-it tool while fishing for hair. Thanks for the video, I actually watched that one earlier today on youtube,

Tom

Old 01-04-14, 05:51 PM
Received 64 Votes on 55 Posts
I like enzyme drain cleaners for drain preventive maintenance when the issue is soap/grease buildup whether from kitchen dishwashing or soaps and shampoos in the bathroom sink or tub. I don't think this stuff will touch hair in the pipe and definitely won't open a total clog.

ZEP 18 oz. Drain Care Build Up Remover-ZDC16 at The Home Depot

I use this stuff once a month so that it treats all the cast iron pipe under my basement floor for the length of the house. One container lasts me a couple years, I just bought more today as a matter of fact. I found out 25 years ago that without using this stuff, I get a buildup clog where the stack and underfloor pipes intersect within 90 days. I have equipment to clear the buildup clog, but this is much easier.