Cap For Drain On Valve?

Old 01-07-14, 07:35 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Cap For Drain On Valve?

My main water valve has a quarter inch drain on the side. Lost the cap last night when I was draining the line after turning the water off. Just slipped out of my fingers, looked everywhere. Are those caps proprietary to the manufacturer or can you buy replacements? Almost looks like a " compression cap. Will a " compression cap work?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-14, 08:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
And its brass, so no magnet. I'd check in the brass section of HD, before I'd buy a new one to cannibalize. They are pretty much standard

Old 01-07-14, 09:41 AM
Thanks. I was hoping standard.Hate trying to find anything at HD but cheaper then the supply house probably. Should be warm enough to leave the house tomorrow.

Old 01-07-14, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Might want to pick up some small o-rings as well Ray. I have a drain for my swamp cooler that I lost the cap to and a regular compression cap wouldn't seal til I put an o-ring in.

Old 01-07-14, 11:03 AM
Not sure a compression cap will work but hoping it would. Hoping someone had enough familiarity with these valves to answer.

Old 01-07-14, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
Hi ray... The threads are all different especially from older valves.... If it is a newer valve you may have better luck...

Plus all the valves are differnt in design...

When you go to the store try to interchange the bleeders between different manufacturers and youll see what I mean...

Good luck and let us know...

( What did you take the cap off for???)

Old 01-07-14, 01:48 PM
What did you take the cap off for?
To drain the pipes so they wouldn't freeze. I use this for my main shutoff.

Dang if I can't get one to fit I don't want to replace the valve. May try tapping it internally for a machine screw and O ring.

Related question do Sharkbites work on PVC? I get mixed messages searching the internet.

Old 01-07-14, 02:22 PM
Received 10 Votes on 8 Posts
Hold a flashlight flush and parallel to the floor so the beam shines across the floor. It will make larger object stick out and cast a big shadow. Might help you find your cap. Works great if you break a glass and are trying to find all the shards of glass. It will also help you see what other gunk you might have hanging around that the broom missed.

Old 01-08-14, 10:12 AM
Well lying flat on my stomach in the yard shining a flashlight was the first thing I tried that night... and the second day and the second time the second day. Also tried shifting all the dirt under the house around the likely trajectory through my fingers (really fun bare handed in mud at 26). I think I originally bought it at HD seven or eight years ago but no luck today finding the valve or a clerk at HD today. Just decided to buy a 6-32 and a 8-32 tap and do an internal thread. Of course HD had only tapered and no bottoming or plug so still may have to go to the hardware store.

Well at least no wife reminding me no running water since Monday.

But at least I have it a lot better then the people up north.

Old 01-08-14, 01:53 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
I live "up north", almost at the 48th parallel, and I have no problems with anything freezing. Currently 47 degrees and raining.

I do have to fix my license plate holder though and I'm afraid to go out in the rain, I might melt.

Old 01-08-14, 02:44 PM
I find rebar tie wire works great for license plates though I do prefer coat hangers for mufflers.

I'm afraid to go out in the rain
Same problem here. Would get this fixed but using a corded drill in the rain isn't worth the risk. (No GFCIs installed by the builder back in '45.)

Old 01-08-14, 03:22 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Baling wire would be okay except with this car there is no way I could use it to hold the plate in place. One of those wrap-around plastic bumpers that won't let you get over and under it. The license really attaches to the trunk lid and it has a liner on the inside that I would have to remove in order to get to the bolt holes to thread the wire through.

I've never had this problem before, just used a screwdriver to remove the bolts, bring the plate inside to clean it up and apply the new sticker and then back out to reinstall, maybe fifteen minutes tops. This time it took that long just to get the darn screws out and I almost destroyed the (Phillips) slot in one of them. Metric, of course so I don't have a tap and i doubt I could find a pair of metric screws before March. I can't go to the store to buy a tap and screws because I don't have a legal license on the silly car. I have some of the 1/4-20 nylon license plate screws but it would mean re-tapping the existing plate nuts and that means more time in the rain. Of course, with my luck I would just destroy the metric threads and not have enough meat for the new threads.

I might have a couple of magnets with screws that I can use temporarily, like the dealerships use. I need to think about where the silly magnets might be.

Old 01-08-14, 04:04 PM
Prop the plate in the rear window. Maybe a little duct tape to hold it to the windows then driver to the hardware store for the tap.