Backwater Valve Dry and Unused - What Gives?

Old 01-07-14, 09:11 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Backwater Valve Dry and Unused - What Gives?

Hello everyone, I've just signed up to post this question, and hope someone out there has some insight into my issue.

Moved into a 25-year old house last Summer, and tonight for the first time I opened up the backwater valve with the intention to make sure it was working right and to clean.

The flap itself seemed fine, but even after running the faucets and flushing both toilets, no water ever came through it. I could hear it very, very close behind the flap, but no water ever came up to the flap to push it out of the way.

Now, the water must be going somewhere, but how worried should I be? What are the possible explanations for why this backwater valve wouldn't be in use?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-14, 01:20 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
My first thought is that it was a retrofit job and the Plumber(?) that installed it just buried it next to the real drain rather than actually cut it into the system.

Old 01-08-14, 04:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
It may be a backwater valve for a branch line and not the main... A line that is say open in the basement for example.. Washing machine line/standpipe...etc...

Welcome to the forums......

Pics always help.....

Old 01-14-14, 09:37 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions!

I was able to get some professional advice, though, and it turns out it's a backwater valve for the storm sewer instead of the waste sewer, so I should only see water passing through it when my French drain is collecting water.