Pex fitting leaking

Old 01-08-14, 03:23 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pex fitting leaking

I went upstairs into my attick today and found that one of the fittings on the pex pipe for my baseboard heat is leaking.

imgur: the simple image sharer

I recently purchased the home and this is my first winter in the home. Previous owner installed the pex. It is a crimp fitting...

What would be the easiest way to fix the leak? Cut the pipe on both sides, take the fitting out, use sharkbite elbow instead and just slip on?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-14, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 55 Votes on 48 Posts
What would be the easiest way to fix the leak? Cut the pipe on both sides, take the fitting out, use sharkbite elbow instead and just slip on?
Yes that sounds like the easiest. I would take it you dont have a crimping tool for pex?

Do you think the pipe froze and caused it? Do you have insulation covering the pipe?

Old 01-08-14, 03:38 PM
J
I went up in the attic to actually trace the pex for my kitchen sink as yesterday my hot and cold line were frozen but today when I turned them on the water was working but I hear "clanking" in the ceiling so I figured the lines were in the ceiling for the kitchen hot/cold and sure enough they were up there. While I was up there I saw the baseboard pex line (most of it insulated except that piece in the picture). I will be insulating that this weekend after I fix the fitting.

I noticed that the pex on one side of the barb is not cut even/straigh and the clamp is touching the barb.

I do not have a pex crimper so I figured the easiest thing for me to do is buy a 90degree sharkbite elbow, (Search Results for*sharkbite elbow*at The Home Depot) cut one side of the pex, slip into elbow, cut other side of pex and slip into the other side of the elbow.

Are the sharkbite connectors ok for pex that is used in baseboard heating?

Old 01-08-14, 03:44 PM
J
Also, I have a polypipe cutter that I used for the install of my underground sprinkler system. Will this cutter be ok to use on the PEX?

Old 01-08-14, 04:14 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
Yes, that or a box cutter knife will work.

Based on what you describe it sounds like the PEX was not crimped properly. Even if you had a crimper tool re-crimping that ring probably would not help. A Shark Bite fitting would be the easiest and least expensive fix though I don't know for certain if they are approved for heating installations. Since they are for potable hot and cold water I assume they would also be OK for heating.

Old 01-08-14, 06:28 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
I'd agree with PilotDane, a SharkBite should work just fine for fixing the leak.

I was going to suggest that they sell a crimp removal tool, so you could just cut the one side of the pipe, cut the bad crimp off, and re-crimp... but for the $80-$100 you'd spend for tools, it's not worth it for one connection. SharkBite all the way!

One suggestion, be sure to mark 1" in on each pipe to ensure you insert the pipe far enough into the fitting.

Good luck!