Complete plumbing redo, outside of wall tho

Old 01-09-14, 01:53 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Complete plumbing redo, outside of wall tho

At least once per winter the pipes burst. Too tough to get over there to winterize and too expensive to keep the house heated.

I want a flexible piping solution (like the flex-hose on the tv ads that expands) that I'm going to run alongside (not within) the walls.

I don't care how it looks, my questions are:

1. Does a flexible piping animal exist or are copper and pvc the only options (readily available at a Lowes/Home Depot place)?

2. How would I "fit" option 1 above to existing sink, shower, water heater, etc fixtures?

3. Since I'm redoing this all anyway, what is the level of difficulty in swapping out my old water heater for a tankless or should I make that a separate project?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-14, 02:25 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 495 Votes on 455 Posts
I would do a proper re-plumb with PEX. The tubing can withstand freezing and you have the benefit of "real" plumbing and not an ugly garden hose system clouged together.

The trouble with your exterior, not in the walls plumbing idea is that most all modern plumbing fixtures are designed to work with hidden, in-wall piping. There really is no way to connect to a tub/show fixture without going into the wall and connecting to the fixture.

I have rental properties which go through many freeze thaw cycles when vacant in winter and re-plumb with PEX whenever possible because it works so well. When a house is vacant in winter and going to freeze I shut off the water, open all faucets and get all the water out of the toilets. That's it. I leave the water in the pipes and let it freeze. After almost 15 years I have not had a PEX line burst.

Old 01-09-14, 09:25 PM
M
I bought PEX tubing and shark bite fittings. Question is how do I fit the copper ends into the shark bite fittings? The PEX end you just stick it in right?

Old 01-10-14, 06:06 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just slip the copper or Pex into the fitting and your done. No tools needed.

Old 01-10-14, 09:49 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 85 Votes on 80 Posts
You just have to be sure the PEX is pushed into the fitting far enough. I believe the instructions state to make a pencil mark on a 3/4" pipe 1" in, when that 1" mark disappears into the connector, it means it's properly seated.

And just to clarify, PEX can still break/burst with freezing like any other piping systems, it's just typically more forgiving than copper is.

Old 01-10-14, 09:51 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 495 Votes on 455 Posts
Like Joecaption1 said. Just shove the pipe in... that is if you have the correct Shark Bite fittings. They come in different sizes and configurations and there are two types of copper pipe that are commonly used and each requires a different Shark Bite. With the correct fitting the pipes will just shove in.