Pipes rattling when running a new hose line

Old 01-09-14, 08:24 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pipes rattling when running a new hose line

I added a new cold water line to the existing plumbing to add a second hose to the side of my house. This line is close to where the main line enters the home. The part of the plumbing coming off the main line was already there, so I just cut the old copper and put on new pex and ran the line. If I turn up the water pressure the line will start to shake/rattle close to where the line is coming into the house.

Is this some type of pressure issue? Other than this line, that noise never ever happens. Could it be because the line is close to where the line is entering the home, or something like that?

I can draw a simple diagram if helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-14, 09:52 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
Some rattling/moving can be helped by better securing the copper/PEX pipe.

I've also seen this rattling or jackhammering occurring because of an old/bad washer on the valve. I assume though that you're using a new outdoor faucet? Is it a standard faucet or a frost-free faucet?

Old 01-10-14, 12:24 PM
H
Good plan. Maybe I will try securing the pipe first, since it does sort of seem to just hang there in a spot or two.

I ran pex to a spigot in the basement, which then goes to an outdoor spigot, both are close to each other after about a 25' line where I joined in the pex.

I'll support it a bit and see what happens. My worry is that if it actually shakes the pipes it could spring a leak in the copper?

Old 01-10-14, 01:51 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 477 Votes on 438 Posts
I've never seen PEX shaking enough to cause trouble with copper pipe. Other pipe materials like copper, steel, pvc... have considerably more structural strength while PEX has almost none. It's sorta like a wet noodle. Great because it can be routed almost anywhere and it easily withstands freezing and thawing but it needs a lot more support than other, more rigid pipes.

Old 01-10-14, 01:57 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just sounds like air in the line to be that needs to be bleed out.

Old 01-10-14, 06:27 PM
H
The pipe that is rattling is the copper, not the pex, or I don't think at least. I also can't imagine that it would be air, the lines all run regularly with no issues and if air was trapped I'd think it would have long been purged, especially since this rattle is near where the line comes in. Could it be the way a 1/2" line comes off of the 3/4" and for whatever reason the velocity of the water trying to force itself into the 1/2", but is not able to push itself into the rest of the system may cause that vibration? Guess as a test I can go turn on the kitchen sink full blast, and then see if it still happens.