Pump in basement for emergency leak situation

Old 01-11-14, 08:47 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Pump in basement for emergency leak situation

Hello all

We have an older smaller home with an unfinished basement with no floor drains. I was looking for an easy, practical inexpensive way to prevent basement flooding should there be leak when I'm not there (freeze,boiler PRV letting loose, washing machine hose etc) i have cut a hole in the floor and buried a 5 gallon bucket level with floor surface, my idea was to put a good quality sump pump in the bucket and run its hose to drain appropriately.

Whats the best quality pump i can buy? The head will be about 8 feet.

Additionally is there some sort of automated remote system that could be implemented to detect an interior leak and send an alert via email or phone call etc?

Any advice will be much appreciated
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-14, 02:44 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Data logger,Data loggers

I don't know if that device can be read remotely but you could call the company. I don't have a recommendation on a sump pump.

Old 01-11-14, 02:57 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That bucket should have had gravel around the outside of it to help filter out some of the sand.
Also going to need a check valve so when the pump shuts off the water does not just dump back into the pit.
Zoeller is one of the better brands.
Zoeller Corporation

Why all the concern?

Old 01-13-14, 01:27 PM
D
The bucket is solid buried with its top flush with the basement floor surface only for the purpose of collecting water should there be a leak, this is where i would place the pump. It has nothing to do with ground water.

The basement has no floor drains so i would like some sort of emergency system should there be a leak for whatever reason. The pressure relief valve on the boiler let loose once and flooded the basement, an experience i would not care to repeat

Old 01-13-14, 03:23 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
Then almost any sump or submersible pump with a float switch should work. A 5 gallon pail is rather small in diameter for a pump so you may be limited by size to what will fit in the bucket. Don't forget you need space for the pump AND the switch. The float switch must move freely without touching anything to work properly. Getting a pump into a bucket is no problem. Getting a pump and a float switch may limit you to smaller pumps.

There are lots of various things to alert you of a leak or water. Simple ones are battery powered boxes you set on the floor and they beep when they detect water. At the other end of the spectrum are alarm systems with water sensors. Much comes down to how complex a system you want and how much you want to spend. Since you mention sending a E-mail or calling that puts you at a certain level and money and in that range I'd start considering a whole house system. You'll have to have a certain amount of basic technology to handle the calling or E-mailing and by that point you're probably half way or more to a full blown alarm system.

Old 01-15-14, 02:44 PM
D
Hoping to keep it as simple as possible. Your points make good sense and are well taken. Other than a full blown sump pit i cant think. Of anything larger and as readily available as a 5gallon pail?

Btw, will any basic pump handle a head of about 8ft?

Old 01-15-14, 09:28 PM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
Plastic garbage cans come in several different sizes and shapes.

Old 01-16-14, 02:22 PM
D
Yes!
Classic example of overlooking the obvious