Whole house filter with city water - Lost pressure after installation

Old 01-11-14, 09:39 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whole house filter with city water - Lost pressure after installation

I installed a whole house filter system with city water. Before install we had all
of the fixtures including washer and dishwasher working without notice of pressure drop. Now if the shower and and sink is used together it drops, big time

I did use sharkbites for the connections and to build the manifold. Do I need a pump or can I use a expansion tank ?? Or is there another problem I have missed..

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-14, 10:34 AM
D
Was the valve you used to shut water off to the house a gate valve or a ball valve?

Old 01-11-14, 10:53 AM
G
Shark gate valve I belive

Old 01-11-14, 11:05 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 487 Votes on 448 Posts
I don't think Shark Bite makes a gate valve or at least I've never seen one so I'd assume you have a ball valve.

What filter did you install? Is it 10" tall or 20" or taller? What is it's diameter? What cartridge do you have installed. The reason I ask is that smaller filters generally flow less water (gpm) and drop the pressure more than a larger filter. Also, finer cartridges also tend to reduce the flow and pressure more than a coarse filter.

Old 01-11-14, 07:27 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 84 Votes on 79 Posts
Continuing Pilot Dane's questions, did you use the same size piping (presumably 3/4" pipe) to and from the filter?

Does the filter you installed have a bypass feature, or you could remove the filter media to be sure that's not an issue.

As long as you used a whole-house filter, you shouldn't see any noticeable pressure drop until the filter gets clogged... which should take a few months on city water.

Old 01-12-14, 12:44 AM
F
Received 34 Votes on 26 Posts
If you are using a standard 10 inch filter then add a second filter in parallel with the first. This will give you more flow and longer filter life.

Old 01-12-14, 08:38 AM
G
The main valve is a gate and the Sharkbite are ball vavles. I have installed a Rhino pro whole house filter with a soft water filter system. I do have a bypass on the systems which I have a ball valve as
well. I have turned off the bypass which added to the flow of the system. I have 3/4 copper pipe not PVC pipe. The systems goes into a manifold of (1) 3/4 and (2) 1/2 lines in to the house. I have a 20"
filter (standard) to a carbon filter (stacked) to the softer filter (stacked) to a 10" filter (Standard). Per the plans from the manufactures. Only thing I changed was using copper pipe instead of PVC or Plastic pipe. Will the gate valve work better then a ball valve??? The manufacture (pro install pack) came with ball valves??? (see spec and link to site for photo of system)

Spec
Premium Rhino Whole House Filter + SimplySoft Whole House Descaler
Safe, healthy, great-tasting, conditioned water throughout your entire home for 10 years or 1,000,000 gallons.

Link
SimplySoft Whole House Descaler and 10 Yr Premium Filter System by Aquasana

Old 01-12-14, 09:26 AM
D
Gate valves have a tendency to break and get stuck closed or partially open when they age. It is possible that is causing your reduced flow. However, you said that when you bypass all your filters that you have normal pressure.

Old 01-12-14, 09:52 AM
G
All of the pipes and valves are new . Also,I just tried your question. When I bypass the system I can get one additional fixture with a small drops in psi. (1) sink and toilet plus the shower. When I flush and add shower it drops.

Old 01-12-14, 11:03 AM
Z
Received 10 Votes on 10 Posts
hi Glewis Ė

(I'm not plumber/expert).

Why did you have to "build" a manifold for this project? Did you make piping changes to PEX at the same time you installed the filter system?

Old 01-12-14, 11:09 AM
G
No Changes I cut the existing main with the gate valve and from the gate to (1) 3/4 and (2) 1/2 line were tied to the output of the gate valve. I just added the filter system.

Old 01-12-14, 11:37 AM
Z
So if we look at the picture on the top of the page of the link below, then the pipe coming into the tee on the left, is the 3/4 pipe coming from your gate valve. The pipe leaving the tee on the right, is a 3/4 pipe going to the manifold where the output from the manifold is a 3/4, a 1/2, and a 1/2.

Seems strange that if you put that entire system in bypass you would see any pressure drops? Wonder if the gate valve isnít really opening back up all the way after the work? The other guys would know if thatís possible.

One thing I found that helps is to have gauges before and after filters (Iím gauge happy). It helped me troubleshooting and you can tell if filters are clogging, etc.

But I guess right now you need to figure out why you have drops.

SimplySoft Whole House Descaler and 10 Yr Premium Filter System by Aquasana

Old 01-12-14, 04:28 PM
Z
drooplug

Gate valves have a tendency to break and get stuck closed or partially open when they age. It is possible that is causing your reduced flow. However, you said that when you bypass all your filters that you have normal pressure
Sorry droop. I missed the above and repeated what you already said. My bad!