Water on the countertop leaking down through the faucet/countertop hole

Old 01-11-14, 04:38 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Post Water on the countertop leaking down through the faucet/countertop hole

Information: Granite Countertop with under the counter sink. See picture. Water leaking from the countertop through the faucet hole into the cabinet beneath

Problem: Random water on the countertop is leaking through the faucet/countertop hole into the cabinet below. Countertop hole for the faucet is probably a tad bit larger than what it should be or may be not. I tried using some plumbing tape between the faucet and the countertop but that did not help. I understand some sort of sealer may help, but wanted to get expert advice before I go down that path. I am not very knowledgeable with plumbing so please respond even if you think it is a straightforward and easy fix/solution. What kind of sealer? Any washer kind of set-up that I can buy and add between the countertop and faucet that may solve this problem? I suppose adding anything from the bottom of the countertop will not help because water is leaking from the top and there is where you have to solve the problem?

Appreciate any help

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-14, 04:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 491 Votes on 450 Posts
There should be an undercover or rubber gasket between the faucet and the counter, and in addition, plumbers putty is often used to seal underneath the undercover. I'd suggest you take the faucet loose, determine if there is an undercover, and if there is, apply a small amount of plumbers putty to the counter, then tighten the faucet down and clean off whatever squeezes out.